[News] Apple's Distasteful Attitude Good News for Linux

  • Subject: [News] Apple's Distasteful Attitude Good News for Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:35:39 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Want Porn? Buy an Android Phone, Steve Jobs Says

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite yesterdayâs iPhone debacle, Jobs
| was still in a chatty-enough mood to
| respond to a concerned customerâs e-mail
| questioning Appleâs role as âmoral policeâ
| of its App Store. The customer, Matthew
| Browing, was referring to the App Storeâs
| initial rejection of an app containing Mark
| Fioreâs Pulitzer-winning editorial cartoon,
| as well as the companyâs recent porn ban.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/steve-jobs-porn

Steve Jobs: 'Folks Who Want Porn Can Buy An Android Phone'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/20/steve-jobs-reiterates-fol_n_544045.html

Norwegian Prime Minister Trapped In The Walled Garden; Uses iPad

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a bad example of governments using
| closed source or proprietary technologies
| over which they do not have any control.
|
| Apple, despite creating some good-looking
| and innovative products like the iPhone,
| creates vendor-locked, closed source
| technologies. Apple has full control very
| every app running on the iPad. In a
| situation like this, how secure would it be
| for the leader of a country to use such a
| device to run his office, which may have a
| lot of back-doors?
`----

http://www.katonda.com/blog/1062/norwegian-prime-minister-trapped-walled-garden-uses-ipad

Hey, Adobe: Dump Apple, go Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| There are at least a dozen Linux-powered
| iPad clones on their way to market, and
| most of the early ones appear to be using
| Android. In addition, there are already
| popular Android-powered smartphones like
| Motorola's Droid. There's money to be made
| in tablets and smartphones that has nothing
| to with either iPads or iPhones.
|
| True, Google seems to have its own video
| plans on Android and both the Chrome OS and
| browser involving HTML 5 and the VP8 video
| codec. At the same time, Google has shown
| that it's willing to integrate Adobe Flash
| Player into Chrome. Why not work even more
| closely with Google and Linux?
|
| Think about it. Apple is no friend to Adobe
| these days. As always, Microsoft has its
| own agenda, and they'd much rather see
| Silverlight instead of Flash become the
| Internet and mobile video codec. Linux
| vendors and programmers, while they have no
| love for proprietary formats or programs
| will work with them, and are more likely to
| be friendly to Adobe than either Apple or
| Microsoft.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15975/hey_adobe_dump_apple_go_linux

Adobe says Bye to Apple, goes for Android

,----[ Quote ]
| With Apple's banning Adobe Flash based
| content on all of its mobile devices, Adobe
| announced that it has now officially given
| up on Apple. Their Flash Creative Suite 5
| will still be available but Mike Chambers,
| the chief product manager for Developer's
| relation for Adobe's Flash program,
| confirmed no future work to be done on it
| for Apple platform in his blog post.
`----

http://linuxers.org/article/adobe-says-bye-apple-goes-android

ARMed Apple? No Way!

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has used ARM chips. There are rumours
| that Apple wishes to buy ARM.
|
| [...]
|
| ARM is as close as you can get to
| âopennessâ in hardware and Apple is about
| as close as you can get to âclosedâ in
| hardware. It is possible for change to
| happen but Jobs has not shown any
| inclination. It would be ironic if Apple
| killed off the only real competition to
| Wintel and then suffered as a result. So
| far, Apple has moved under the radar of
| anti-competition laws but such a purchase
| might put them above the radar. They would
| certainly have more than 50% of the gadget-
| CPU market.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/21/armed-apple-no-way/

Recent:

Steve Jobs bans all apps from iPhone (or thereabouts)

,----[ Quote ]
| You could argue that the new Jobsian SDK bars
| developers from writing any application for
| the iPhone - unless they possess some sort of
| savant-like ability to think solely in
| Objective C.
|
| The much-discussed software development kit
| for the upcoming iPhone OS 4.0 says that
| native applications must be "originally
| written" in Objective C, C, or C++, forbidding
| developers from using any sort of "translation
| or compatibility layer." If you take this
| legalese to its logical extreme, it rules out
| just about anything you can think of.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/16/does_apple_code_translation_ban_everthing/

On being a minority

,----[ Quote ]
| After the whole Apple 3.3.1 âCanât develop with
| non-approved toolchainsâ debacle a lot of people
| set up a Google Docs spreadsheet to list the
| tons of amazing apps that would be impacted by
| this rule change.
|
| [...]
|
| The numbers are even less impressive if you
| wished to focus on a single toolchain of
| interest, like say â oh I donât know â
| MonoTouch, which can boast almost a whole dozen
| entries on the spreadsheet.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/04/on-being-a-minority/

Switching from C# to Java