[News] Red Hat Speaks About Free Software, Etc.

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat Speaks About Free Software, Etc.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:56:40 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The future of open source is in the middle

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source software is likely to remain in
| certain niches, former Red Hat VP Erik
| Troan says, but open source is increasingly
| becoming a necessary foundation.
|
| [...]
|
| What people are really paying for in open
| source is editing, said Troan, channeling
| his grandfather, who was a newspaper editor
| for decades. They're relying on other
| people to pick out the bits of code and
| pieces of software that do what they need
| to get done once they're put together.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/60454

Jim Whitehurst: Donât build a better mousetrap. Change the business

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies that are creating massive value
| typically arenât building a better
| mousetrap. Theyâre not improving on
| existing technologies or simply adding new
| features. Instead, theyâre changing the
| business model. This was the message behind
| Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurstâs keynote at
| todayâs CED Venture 2010 Conference.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/4/jim-whitehurst-don%E2%80%99t-build-better-mousetrap-change-business-model

Red Hat near Key Support Area

,----[ Quote ]
| Shares of Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE:RHT) are
| trading very close to calculated support at
| $30.25 with current price action closing at
| just $31.29 places the stock price near
| levels where traders will start paying
| attention.
`----

http://www.tradershuddle.com/Trading-Ideas/1089704222010-redhat-near-key-support-area.html

Red Hat (and KVM) are still RHEL-evant

,----[ Quote ]
| I started to read with a bipartisan mindset
| about âXen and Theory of RHEL-evanceâ
| posted in the Citrix community blog by
| Simon Crosby. What appears to be a great
| title at first seems to be mostly FUD on
| why KVM is doomed for failure especially in
| the enterprise marketplace and Red Hat will
| drown with it. It did not have enough
| facts, just FUD most of the time. I would
| to counter his so called âfactsâ here as
| its been a long time anyway since I last
| updated my blog.
`----

http://linuxriola.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/red-hat-and-kvm-are-still-rhel-evant/

Inside Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat has launched a beta version of Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux Version 6.0 with
| increased power and performance for the KVM
| hypervisor, greater Linux server
| scalability and a new version of the
| Enterprise Linux file system.
|
| The priorities in Version 6 in effect set
| an expanded agenda for Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux. "This release sets the scene for the
| next decade," said Nick Carr, Red Hat
| marketing director in an interview. The
| beta release of Version 6.0 became
| available for download on April 21. General
| availability will come at an unspecified
| time later this year.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/open_source/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224600032

Recent:

Red Hat announces beta of Enterprise Linux 6

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1602158/red-hat-announces-beta-enterprise-linux

At Last, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux vendor Red Hat today released the
| first public beta of Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux 6 (RHEL 6), giving observers a look
| at what's to come in the next version of
| its flagship operating system platform.
|
| The new release takes advantage of a long
| list of new Linux kernel improvements for
| performance and scalability while also
| providing new technologies for security,
| management, and virtualization.
|
| "When you look at RHEL 6, there is no one
| single feature that is the killer feature
| in the release," Tim Burke, vice president
| of platform engineering at Red Hat (NYSE:
| RHT), told InternetNews.com. "It's truly a
| release where the whole is bigger than the
| sum of the parts. It's a large, coordinated
| effort aiming for improved operational
| efficiency."
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7047/1/

Red Hat boosts scalability in enterprise Linux upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat will preview on Wednesday an
| upgrade to its enterprise Linux
| distribution, which offers dramatic
| improvements in scalability as well as
| power management and storage enhancements.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/042110-red-hat-boosts-scalability-in.html

The First Benchmarks Of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The first beta release of Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux 6.0 was made available
| yesterday morning. RHEL 6.0 is set to offer
| many virtualization enhancements, power
| management improvements, new security
| features, many package updates, and even
| some reported performance enhancements.
| With Red Hat mentioning this major upgrade
| to their enterprise operating system
| carrying "performance enhancements", these
| claims have now been tested using the
| Phoronix Test Suite within our labs. There
| are some improvements for Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux 6.0 to note, but also some
| losses.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=rhel6_benchmarks_beta&num=1

Red Hat drops Xen from RHEL

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat has added a number of new
| capabilities that should help data centers
| better support virtualization and cloud
| computing. The beta release of RHEL 6.0
| removes Xen.
`----

http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/red-hat-drops-xen-from-rhel/140487

The Planet Turns to KVM For Cloud Virtualization

http://www.dabcc.com/article.aspx?id=14334

Red Hat revamps Linux server software

http://www.itpro.co.uk/622042/red-hat-revamps-linux-server-software

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5 update now available

,----[ Quote ]
| Driving leadership across virtual, physical
| and cloud deployments, the Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux 5.5 update harnesses the
| scalability and performance optimization of
| the next-generation of server processors.
| Also included are enhanced virtualization
| capabilities that enable greater guest
| density, improved interoperability with
| Windows environments, and new tools and
| utilities enhancements.
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/253812/red-hat-enterprise-linux-55-update-now-available

What's new in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/What-s-new-in-Red-Hat-Enterprise-Linux-5-5-969097.html