[News] Red Hat Site Speaks Out Against FUD, Free Software Myths Busted

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat Site Speaks Out Against FUD, Free Software Myths Busted
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:24:28 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Don't let FUD kill your business goals

,----[ Quote ]
| If there's one thing business leaders can
| learn from open source developers, it's
| when you begin disrupting the comfortable
| ways that people do business, you'll
| experience the power of FUDâFear,
| Uncertainty, and Doubt. And your ideas, in
| all their brilliant, open-minded glory,
| will be the target. Open source software
| developers have heard it all. Open source
| is risky. It will destroy your
| profitability. It will turn you into a
| communist. Worthy of inclusion on an
| international watchlist. And you should
| probably be quarantined.
|
| So if you're facing opposition to bringing
| the open source way to your organization,
| find an established open source community
| and ask what has worked for themâand what
| hasn't.
|
| Drupal developer Bryan Ollendyke likes to
| point to successful implementations of
| Drupal, like Penn State or the White House.
| This is an excellent strategy for silencing
| the nay-sayers. Arm yourself with examples
| of respected companies who embody the open
| source way.
|
| Rob Weir of the OpenDocument Format looks
| carefully at the lies and half-truths and
| then formulates a concise response that
| sets the record straight. It's hard to
| argue with facts.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/3/dont-let-fud-kill-your-business-goals

Debunking Free Software Myths

,----[ Quote ]
| I fancy myself to be what some would call a
| "Free Software Advocate" and as such when I
| am making recommendations of free software
| to people I hear many of the same common
| misconceptions day in and day out. Lets
| separate some of the fact from the fiction
| shall we?
|
| #1 Free software is Illegal
|
| This is easily the most common phrase I
| hear when recommending free software to new
| people. (Not just the un-educated make this
| mistake either, one of my college
| professors made this assumption when I
| brought up the topic in class) Let me
| assure you that free software is 100%
| legal, you are not breaking any laws by
| downloading and using it. Most free
| software is typically released under the
| GNU license or some similar license.
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/04/debunking-free-software-myths.html

Recent:

Fedora 14 Codenames Come About

,----[ Quote ]
| So far the potential candidates for the Fedora
| 14 codename include Guiness, Scofield, Bhanji,
| Kingsley, Astro, and Bacon. However, there's
| still six days left to voice your input on
| this Fedora Wiki page.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE2OA

Fedora 13 Spotlight Feature: NetworkManager Gets Even More Connected

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://press.redhat.com/2010/04/20/fedora-13-spotlight-feature-networkmanager-gets-even-more-connected/