[News] Review of RHEL Clone Scientific Linux, Red Hat Might Work with HP

  • Subject: [News] Review of RHEL Clone Scientific Linux, Red Hat Might Work with HP
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:53:46 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gazing at Scientific Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| While the distribution isn't eye-catching,
| it has a lot of good things going for it.
| In fact, I occasionally found myself
| thinking, I wish Fedora did this in this
| way. For example, I always wondered why
| Fedora didn't adopt the Yumex package
| manager front-end. I like that Scientific
| comes with some multimedia support and
| Flash rather than making their users hunt
| down third-party repositories. Scientific's
| approach to security, offering a custom
| live CD password and disabling network
| services out of the box, is commendable.
| Further, I like that my touchpad works the
| way I expect it to without editing a
| configuration file. The Scientific team
| offers a stable desktop with long-term
| support and does a good job of it. The only
| drawback, so far as I can see, is that some
| of their key components are getting out of
| date. Usually this isn't a problem, except
| perhaps, when using software like
| OpenOffice.org and Firefox. Those projects
| which put out major releases once a year or
| more will appear dated. In conclusion,
| Scientific is a good desktop for people who
| prefer stability over riding the cutting
| edge.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100426#feature

HP and Red Hat: Ganging Up On Sun?

,----[ Quote ]
| Thereâs plenty of traditional channel
| partner news here at the HP Americas
| Partner Conference in Las Vegas. But
| sometimes, the juiciest news occurs over
| dinner. A case in point: Sources say HP VP
| Frank Rauch and Red Hat North America
| Channel Chief Roger Egan will likely meet
| for a meal tonight. Their mutual interest,
| besides fine dining: Finding new ways to
| target and engage Sun Microsystemsâ
| customer base. Hereâs the scoop.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/04/26/hp-and-red-hat-ganging-up-on-sun/

Recent:

Opinion: RHEL 5 turns 3, Suggestions for Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.montanalinux.org/happy-third-birthday-rhel5.html