[News] Fedora 13 Coverage and FUDCon Preparations

  • Subject: [News] Fedora 13 Coverage and FUDCon Preparations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:55:40 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A peek into Fedora 13beta

,----[ Quote ]
| In previous releases, I'd used GIMP to edit
| all my digital photos (remove red-eye,
| etc.) Now, I'm switching to Shotwell. It's
| that good.
`----

http://linuxinexile.blogspot.com/2010/04/peek-into-fedora-13beta.html

Keeping up with everyone.

,----[ Quote ]
| Whenever these events happen, Ambassadors
| and Fedora community members can help
| promote our incredible community by posting
| about the events. Your blog, plus the
| Fedora Planet aggregator, are a fantastic
| way to spread the word about the event.
| Your interactions with attendees and free
| and open source software communities are
| one of the best ways to build interest and
| energy around free software.
`----

http://marilyn.frields.org:8080/~paul/wordpress/?p=3150

Poulsbo packages for F12, F13 may be incoming

,----[ Quote ]
| The wonderful Olivier Blin of Mandriva has
| come through with his patches for making
| the psb video driver for Poulsbo (GMA 500)
| chipsets work on newer versions of X.org.
| He reports success â including 3D â with X
| server 1.7.
`----

http://www.happyassassin.net/2010/04/26/poulsbo-packages-for-f12-f13-may-be-incoming/

Fedora 13 coming soon!

http://linuxinexile.blogspot.com/2010/04/fedora-13-coming-soon.html

Graphical su in Fedora

http://ardchoille42.blogspot.com/2010/04/graphical-su-in-fedora.html

FUDCon headed to the Southwest?

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, we'd definitely like to erase that
| question mark in the title if possible,
| when it comes to the next North American
| FUDCon.
`----

http://marilyn.frields.org:8080/~paul/wordpress/?p=3161

Recent:

Btrfs System Rollbacks In Fedora 13

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the benefits of Btrfs besides offering
| competitive performance against other Linux
| file-systems and SSD optimizations is its
| support for sub-volumes and writable
| snapshots. While Btrfs is still in
| development and is not yet used as a default
| file-system by any Linux distribution, Red
| Hat has been looking to capitalize upon the
| capabilities of Btrfs by introducing support
| for system rollbacks into Fedora. The Btrfs-
| based system rollback support has been a
| feature for Fedora 13 so with the release of
| the Fedora 13 Beta earlier this week we
| decided to further investigate this feature.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_13_btrfs&num=1

Desktop Enhancements in Fedora 13

,----[ Quote ]
| Simple scan is also a tool to make scanning
| fast and simple. This tool is like Deja-Dup
| maintained in the launchpad.net community,
| and if you want to use an newer version of
| the program just add the PPA. I will add a
| list of PPAÂs that will be good to have when
| we got the release of Fedora 13.
`----

http://www.henriksen-rom.com/william/2010/04/desktop-enhancements-in-fedora-13/

Fedora 13beta mini-review

,----[ Quote ]
| But looking through the list of changes in
| Fedora 13, I'm really excited to try out DÃjÃ
| Dup. It's a new backup tool that should make
| life a lot easier. With it, you can do local
| or remote backups, including to Amazon's S3
| cloud storage. Everything is encrypted and
| compressed, and backups are such that you can
| restore from any particular snapshot.
`----

http://linuxinexile.blogspot.com/2010/04/fedora-13beta-mini-review.html

Fedora 13 Beta Release tomorrow

,----[ Quote ]
| What are you looking forward to get in this
| new version? Gnome 2.30, KDE 4.4, Better
| Webcam support, NetBeans 6.8, Better
| Bluetooth support, Enhanced NVIDIA and
| Radeon support, Zarafa, new Upstart
| version, Automatic Print Driver
| Installation or just a more stable system
| (maybe not the first month, or?).
`----

http://www.henriksen-rom.com/william/2010/04/fedora-13-release-tomorrow/

Allegheny first-years dive into Fedora

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, 42 first-year students at Allegheny
| College were thrown into the deep end of
| the pool on the Fedora project. Given that
| these are first-year students with no
| particular background in computing, we've
| worked closely with Mel Chua to get these
| students plugged into the Marketing and
| Design teams. This puts them in a context
| where their lack of experience as
| programmers is a benefit, as they are
| discussing and developing feature
| descriptions with developers with the
| explicit goal of making the end-result
| readable by people with no particular
| background in computing.
`----

http://opensource.com/education/10/3/allegheny-first-years-dive-fedora

Fedora research survey: LAST CALL! :)

,----[ Quote ]
| As some of you may know, professors at the
| Fuqua School of Business at Duke University
| have been conducting a study of Fedora, and
| have put together an online survey based on
| interviews they conducted with several
| dozen folks from the community.
`----

http://gregdekspeaks.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/fedora-research-survey-last-call/

Graphics Test Week coming up: April 13th to 15th

,----[ Quote ]
| As with Fedora 12, weâre smooshing all the
| graphics card Test Days into one week to
| save space on the schedule and make
| everything feel that much more momentous.
`----

http://www.happyassassin.net/2010/04/11/graphics-test-week-coming-up-april-13th-to-15th/

Fedora 13 Alpha Now Available, What are the features??

http://shibuvarkala.blogspot.com/2010/03/fedora-13-alpha-now-available-what-are.html