[News] Debian Boasts Fleet of 1000+ Developers, A Look at 100% Free Debian, gNewSense

  • Subject: [News] Debian Boasts Fleet of 1000+ Developers, A Look at 100% Free Debian, gNewSense
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:57:15 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Keeping 1000 devs focused: new Debian leader speaks

,----[ Quote ]
| Ten days back, the new leader of the Debian
| GNU/Linux project, Stefano Zacchiroli,
| began his term as the only elected leader
| of a free software project. But that's not
| the only thing that makes Debian unique in
| the FOSS space.
|
| The project has well over 1000 developers
| from all corners of the globe and, despite
| the arguments and debates that figure on
| its many mailing lists, still puts together
| a distribution that is top quality and
| caters to more architectures than any
| other.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/38579-keeping-1000-devs-focused-new-debian-leader-speaks

gNewSense: Libre GNU/Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| In the open source world, there are two
| kinds of freedom.  There is software that
| is free as in beer, a mysterious phrase
| that relates to something which costs no
| money.  By definition, any software
| released under the GPL or many related
| licenses which can be freely redistributed
| fits this definition.  This is pretty much
| the state of most open source software.
| Less common, though, is software that fits
| the second type of freedom, "free as in
| speech".  This sense means that it has no
| restrictions, or is "libre" -- something
| that in practice is much harder to achieve
| than simply being gratis.
|
| [...]
|
| Except for the wireless issue, I was very
| pleasantly surprised by how easy gNS was to
| use.  Specific package and application
| choices are different than a less
| restrictive distro might have, but basic
| functionality was on a par with what I'd
| expect for a baseline distro.  (I'll give
| gNS a pass on freezing up when I asked it
| to play my DVD -- in retrospect, it was
| trying to save that hour and a half of my
| life.)  It may be subliminal brainwashing
| by proprietary forces, but I think that I
| had assumed that the "libre" would have to
| work out to some kind of added difficulty.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/gnewsense_libre_gnulinux_os/

Recent:

Debian Squeeze Bug Count

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! the 900 developers and friends of Debian
| GNU/Linux are really eating up the bugs. They
| are down below 700 bugs now and they are not
| yet at package-freeze. If they keep this up,
| they will release this year.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/24/debian-squeeze-bug-count/

Freshly Squeezed Debian: Installing from Live DVD

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/44625