[News] Many Android/Linux Developments, New Products

  • Subject: [News] Many Android/Linux Developments, New Products
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 01:19:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Mysterious Motorola MT820 poses for a long, leisurely spy shoot

,----[ Quote ]
| Two in one week -- Two leaked Chinese
| Motorola phones with Android and
| transparent MOTOMING-like flip covers, that
| is.

Nexus One May Launch In UK Next Week

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 15 weeks after the Nexus One
| launched in the US, it looks like our
| friends in the UK may finally get an
| opportunity to buy the Android smartphone.
| Late yesterday, a "coming soon" page set up
| by Vodafone briefly changed to describe the
| release window as April.

Android-based nav phone's U.S.-bound

,----[ Quote ]
| T-Mobile and Garmin-Asus announced a
| navigation-oriented smartphone that will
| run Android and include multi-touch
| capabilities. The "Garminfone" includes a
| 600MHz Qualcomm processor, 4GB of flash
| storage, a three megapixel camera, and GPS
| capabilities that work with or without
| cellular connectivity, according to the
| companies.

Payment terminal accepts NFC mobile-phone payments

,----[ Quote ]
| Vivotech announced a Linux-based mobile
| payments device that incorporates Near
| Field Communication (NFC) wireless
| technology. The ARM9-based, PCI 2.1-
| certified "Vivopay 8100" offers a
| traditional pinpad and mag-stripe reader,
| but also supports contactless payments via
| NFC-enabled mobile phones, with features
| such as coupon redemption and discount
| vouchers.

Five reasons iPhone vs Android isn't Mac vs Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week I presented at Stanford Graduate
| School of Business in a session on Mobile
| Computing called, "Creating Mobile
| Experiences: It's the Platform, Stupid."

Monitoring sensors in the background

Android 2.2 (Froyo) features

,----[ Quote ]
| It sounds like a beta version of Android
| 2.2 (Froyo) is out in the wild for testing
| â and it has some interesting features that
| Iâm sure Android users will find
| interesting. The new version of the
| operating system will be available on the
| Nexus One, and quite possibly Verizon
| phones in late May â my guess will be on
| the same day as Google I/O (May 19).

Automatic App Updating Coming in Android 2.2

,----[ Quote ]
| One Android feature that our readers have
| been asking for is the ability to update
| all applications and games to the latest
| release.   It's not uncommon for the
| average user to see 15 or more
| notifications a day indicating new versions
| of downloaded apps.

Sony X10 The GutReactionReview(TM)

,----[ Quote ]
| Okay, Iâve had the X10 since 8:30pm last
| night now (but I had to sleep some) so here
| is my initial GutReactionReviewâ. This will
| be quick, and mostly point form. Itâs
| possible that any âproblemsâ I list might
| have solutions, but the whole point is what
| the reaction of a first-time smart-phone
| buyer might be, especially if they arenât
| too savvy, or know how/where to solve these
| things on their own.

browse the web with your android powered e-reader

,----[ Quote ]
| This is what I was looking for, an E-reader
| with a E-ink screen so it's easy on the
| eyes, but also a full color 3.5â
| touchscreen LCD screen ideal for web
| browsing. The 6â EPD screen displays like a
| printed page and text is adjustable for
| easy extended reading.

Tor on Android

,----[ Quote ]