[News] Ubuntu Derivative for Sub-notebooks is Reviewed

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu Derivative for Sub-notebooks is Reviewed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 01:21:03 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

EasyPeasy and the Challenges of Linux Netbook Design

,----[ Quote ]
| Netbook desktops in free and open source
| software (FOSS) are in a state of rapid
| development.
|
| [...]
|
| EasyPeasy's software has few surprises for
| anyone familiar with Ubuntu's. Generally, it
| consists of GNOME components such as
| Evolution, or Ubuntu parts such as Computer
| Janitor or Software Sources. In fact, you do
| not have to look far to see uncustomized
| pieces such as an icon for Ubuntu Software
| Centre or Ubuntu One.
|
| Nor does EasyPeasy avoid proprietary software
| such as Skype or Flash -- no doubt in the name
| of user convenience. Like Ubuntu, it also
| includes a number of Mono applications, such
| as Tomboy and Banshee. Since EasyPeasy openly
| declares its willingness to make such choices,
| you cannot be very surprised that it walks the
| walk as well as talks the talk.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3878761

Recent:

Easy Peasy 1.6

,----[ Quote ]
| I installed easy peasy 1.6 to my 16 gig
| thumbdrive, on my HP mini. The HP Mini has a
| 16 gig SSD as its maid drive, and I have
| Mandriva 2010 installed there. The Mandriva
| works flawlessly, and so far, everything
| works. The easy peasy install was un-
| eventful, but it did not ask me where to
| install the boot loader. I have installed
| Moblin, and Chromeos to this same thumb drive
| and it did not do anything to my Mandriva
| install. After installation, I started
| running it through some tests.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10015279o-2000334184b,00.htm

Easy Peasy Linux 1.5

,----[ Quote ]
| The interface has been redesigned to work
| better for netbook users that might not need or
| want a more traditional desktop interface.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/10/22/easy-peasy-linux-1-5/

Easy Peasy is a Lightweight Linux Distro Optimized for Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Easy Peasy can be installed from both a disc or from a USB drive. Both methods of
| installation have a LiveCD component included so you can take EasyPeasy for a spin
| before committing to an installation.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5356978/easy-peasy-is-a-lightweight-linux-distro-optimized-for-netbooks

Easy Peasy 1.5 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Other changes include bug fixes, upgrades to Picasa and OpenOffice, the
| replacement of Songbird with Banshee and a new hybrid image format for
| distribution which works as an .img and .iso file at the same time.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/145016

Review: Easy Peasy 1.5 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu-based netbook distro Easy Peasy was formely known as Ubuntu Eee. Easy
| Peasy uses the Ubuntu Netbook Remix graphical user interface and provides a mix
| of popular open-source and proprietary software. If youâre trying to stay away
| from proprietary software completely (not a bad idea) this ones not for you. I
| found it interesting that so many have commented on Easy Peasy working out of the
| box. Along with my questions about compatibility I was curious about the
| features, new appearance and day-to-day usefulness of Easy Peasy 1.5. Could the
| Ubuntu-based Easy Peasy be anything more than a toy?
`----

http://beginlinux.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/easy-peasy-1-5-released-for-netbooks/

How to install Easy Peasy in Acer Aspire One

,----[ Quote ]
| I 've been using Acer Aspire One for the last month and while I really like
| its GUI, which made it easy to use like a cell-phone, the pre-installed
| Linpus Lite is well...Lite...
`----

http://yatsite.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-install-easy-peasy-in-acer.html

Easy Peasy Eeebuntu Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently I purchased an eeepc 1000H and was quite impressed with the new and
| different operating system. I hail from a windows only background and
| anything apart from the Microsoft offerings I have left well alone, until
| NOW. The eee came with something called xandros installed and although fairly
| basic it did give me a taste of linux and I wanted more.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/33539

Easy Peasy 1.1 Is Out, Has a Brand New Look

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Easy-Peasy-1-1-Is-Out-Has-a-Brand-New-Look-109798.shtml