[News] Another New Tablet Runs GNU/Linux

Can this tri-boot US$264 slate tablet kill the iPad?

,----[ Quote ]
| But wait, what's this? A 7-inch slate tablet
| which boots all three operating systems with a
| ridiculously low US$264 price tag? That is
| precisely what the SmartQ V7 offers. Granted
| its plastic body is a far cry from being
| seductive, this machine comes with USB
| connectivity and, get this, 1080p video
| support and HDMI output. It's even lighter
| than Apple's device. A poor man's iPad, or a
| virgin device for the tech nerd to mod and
| defile? At this price, it can be both.
`----

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/04/26/can-this-tri-boot-us-264-slate-tablet-kill-the-ipad-/

Recent:

Asustek Eee Pad to hit channel in July

,----[ Quote ]
| To compete against Apple's iPad, Asustek
| has strengthened the Eee Pad's industrial
| design and has cooperated with Google to
| adopt its Android platform. Asustek will
| also add features that iPad currently does
| not support such as USB, integrated webcam,
| and Adobe Flash, Shih noted.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100423PD207.html

Kakai preps dual-screen Linux tablet for students

,----[ Quote ]
| Audio and video features have also been
| mentioned by the AllThingsD sources and
| suggest Kakai's project will use LCDs
| rather than e-paper, although this doesn't
| rule out a mixed-display device like the
| Entourage eDGe (pictured).
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/04/22/kakai.making.kindle.rival.for.schools/

Velocity Microâs Cruz Tablet: Under $300 with Full Flash Support

,----[ Quote ]
| With the market for Android-based tablets
| slowly picking up steam, Velocity Micro, a
| high-performance custom computer producer out
| of Richmond, VA, is entering the fray.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/04/23/velocity-micros-cruz-tablet-300-full-flash-support/

The SmartQ V7 is here

,----[ Quote ]
| In contrast to Android, the wireless works
| right out of the box, using good old
| NetworkManager. I couldnât get Bluetooth
| tethering to fly, though; they use a rather
| odd setup for this. They have Blueman for
| controlling Bluetooth, and youâre supposed to
| use Blueman to set up a DUN link with the
| phone and then run gnome-ppp which somehow
| transforms it into an actual connection. I got
| this to work once in ten tries, for about five
| minutes. So Iâve given up and am just using my
| phoneâs wifi router functionality, which eats
| battery life but works simply. Hopefully a
| future version of the Linux implementation
| (they do release updates fairly frequently)
| will come with the newer gnome-bluetooth and
| NetworkManager builds that allow much smoother
| Bluetooth tethering.
`----

http://www.happyassassin.net/2010/04/19/the-smartq-v7-is-here/

Are there really open source iPad alternatives? A follow-up.

,----[ Quote ]
| I want to create. And because of that, for me,
| the list of negatives greatly outweighs the
| list of positives. Of course, if this device
| is truly doing what you want and need, that's
| great. That's what's important. But I'm
| willing to wait for something better.
| Something meant for sharing. Something more
| open.
`----

http://opensource.com/life/10/4/are-there-really-open-source-ipad-alternatives-follow

Whatever the iPad is, it is NOT a Computer

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't act, just absorb.
|
| Pretty different from giving the same kid a
| laptop or a netbook, isn't it? With one of
| those, a kid can respond, can experiment, can
| act in the very way the human species most
| efficiently assimilates new skills and
| information: learn by doing. By the way, in
| case you hadn't noticed, the netbook costs
| less. Even the laptop often does.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/7045/1/

Apple iPad, Google Android to Grab 75% of Tablet Market in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell's Android 2.0-based Mini 5 tablet is
| expected in the U.S. this year, while
| several Android models will feature
| Nvidia's delayed Tegra chipset, including
| the Adam from Notion Ink. ViewSonic offers
| the VTablet 101.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Apple-iPad-Google-Android-to-Grab-75-of-Tablet-Market-in-2010-819756/

My week with an iPad

,----[ Quote ]
| For instance, I opened an SSH session to a
| Linux server with iSSH to check on some
| things, then received a colleague's IM,
| served up via push notifications. This
| required me to quit iSSH to return the IM,
| then go through the reconnection process to
| get back to where I was. The same thing
| happened with RDP sessions -- not cool at
| all. Apple's April 8 iPhone OS 4 event
| showed off multitasking features in the new
| OS version, but I'm going to reserve
| judgement until I can see it myself.
|
| Also, several high-profile iPad apps are
| simply buggy and slow. One of the apps
| touted at the iPad announcement was MLB at
| Bat 2010. It was visually impressive and
| offered features, such as pitch
| trajectories, not found in the original
| iPhone app. Being a baseball fan, I bought
| it for $14.99 on the first day I had the
| iPad. Since then I've found it lacking in
| many areas. It's slow, it consistently
| fails to update game information, it
| crashed several times, and the video
| quality lacks luster. Oh, and there's no
| sign of that pitch trajectory feature
| demoed at the announcement.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/t/mobile-platforms/my-week-ipad-937

Neofonie launches the WePad tablet at a German press event

,----[ Quote ]
| Honestly, at this point I didnât feel like
| there was much I didnât already know about
| the WePad, the German iPad competitor with
| a kind of almost clever name. We already
| knew it would have an 11.6 inch, 1366 x 768
| multitouch display and 1.66GHz Intel Atom
| N450 CPU and run a custom version of Linux
| with a touch-friendly interface. And we
| knew it was based on a Taiwanese design.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/04/neofonie-launches-the-wepad-tablet-at-a-german-press-event.html

Dual-Screen HTC Tablet in the Works?

,----[ Quote ]
| Looks like HTC has just filed a patent for
| a device that would feature dual
| touchscreens in a clamshell design. Many
| are comparing the device to the Microsoft
| Courier, a similarly dual-screened device,
| but the Courier would be lacking one key
| element that is sure to make its way on to
| this interesting HTC design: Android.
`----

http://phandroid.com/2010/04/09/dual-screen-htc-tablet-in-the-works/

Ipad sales fall short of estimates

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1599659/wall-street-journal-admits-ipad-sales-disappointing

Could Copyright Hold Back iPad Sales In Canada And Elsewhere?

,----[ Quote ]
| As it's become clear that the iPad is more
| of a "content delivery vehicle" than an
| interactive device (and there's nothing
| wrong with that), people are quickly
| discovering how regional licensing issues
| and copyright may hold the device back in
| some areas.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100407/1139028914.shtml

iPad security broken in less than 24 hours

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/06/ipad_security/