[News] McAfee Thinks "Windows" Means "Computer", 'Forgets' GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] McAfee Thinks "Windows" Means "Computer", 'Forgets' GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:37:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux Doesn't Exist; Hacking Is Crime

,----[ Quote ]
| Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant
| of Sophos, has warned users that 'hackers'
| are exploiting a problem with McAfee's
| anti-virus product that has caused hundreds
| of thousands of computers around the world
| to repeatedly reboot themselves.
|
| I use 'computers' and they are not at risk
| because of McAfee's whatever mistake. The
| reason is simple. I use GnuLinux on my
| 'computers'. It is surprising that an
| expert like Graham could make such a huge
| mistake and overgeneralization by calling
| Windows running computers as computers.
| What about those computers which run on
| Gnu/Linux, BSD, Solaris and other such
| operating systems? These computers are not
| affected by this attack.
|
| The second mistake is the usage of word
| hacker. Anyone who looks inside or makes
| changes to a systems is a hacker. If you
| tune the engine or your car, you are
| hacking your car. If you are tweaking the
| code of your computer to enhance
| performance you are a hacker. Calling all
| hackers criminals is, I think, shameful and
| outrageous.
`----

http://www.katonda.com/blog/1090/sophos-thinks-windows-computers-hackers-are-criminals

Recent:

McAfee false positive bricks enterprise PCs worldwide

,----[ Quote ]
| Enterprise customers of a widely used
| McAfee anti-virus product were in a world
| of hurt on Wednesday after an update caused
| large swaths of their machines to become
| completely inoperable.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/21/mcafee_false_positive/

Crippled PCs Running That Other OS

,----[ Quote ]
| When I read reports of thousands of PCs
| disabled by anti-virus foul-ups, I rejoice
| that FLOSS is replacing XP around here. It
| is true that the user of XP or other
| versions of that other OS is helpless. He
| cannot run the PC without anti-virus
| software for the threats are too real and
| he cannot run the PC with anti-virus
| software because it is just malware in
| another form. The A-V we use around here is
| very intrusive and I will be glad to be
| done with it. It firewalls, filters and
| blocks applications not on approved list.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/22/crippled-pcs-running-that-other-os/

McAfee Kills SVCHost.exe, Sets Off Reboot Loops For Win XP, Win 2000

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/04/21/1735211/McAfee-Kills-SVCHostexe-Sets-Off-Reboot-Loops-For-Win-XP-Win-2000

McAfee DAT 5958 Update Issues

,----[ Quote ]
| McAfee's "DAT" file version 5958 is causing
| widespread problems with Windows XP SP3.
| The affected systems will enter a reboot
| loop and loose all network access. We have
| individual reports of other versions of
| Windows being affected as well. However,
| only particular configurations of these
| versions appear affected. The bad DAT file
| may infect individual workstations as well
| as workstations connected to a domain. The
| use of "ePolicyOrchestrator", which is used
| to update virus definitions across a
| network, appears to have lead to a faster
| spread of the bad DAT file. The
| ePolicyOrchestrator is used to update "DAT"
| files throughout enterprises. It can not be
| used to undo this bad signature because
| affected system will lose network
| connectivity.
`----

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=8656

Broken McAfee DAT update cripples Windows workstations

,----[ Quote ]
| McAfee pushed out a virus definition
| update, 5958, at 06:00 PDT that causes
| false positive identification of the
| critical Windows system file svchost.exe.
| Machines running Windows XP Service Pack 3
| using the 5958 definitions will delete the
| file, causing many key Windows services to
| fail to start. The Windows file is being
| mistakenly detected as W32/wecorl.a.
| Failure to start svchost.exe causes Windows
| to automatically reboot, hindering repair
| efforts.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2010/04/broken-mcafee-dat-update-cripples-windows-workstations.ars

McAfee seeks gag on exec ousted over options

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10315368-245.html