[News] New Articles Explain Where GNU/Linux Surpasses OS X and Windows

  • Subject: [News] New Articles Explain Where GNU/Linux Surpasses OS X and Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:39:01 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Question: Why switch to Linux or a Mac?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm no friend to Windows. I know the
| operating system too well to trust it. But, I
| did think that even though Windows is
| defective by design, you could keep it
| relatively safe by installing patches quickly
| and using anti-virus software religiously. I
| was wrong.
|
| [...]
|
| The greater problem though is that, even if
| Microsoft and the anti-virus companies spent
| ten-times the money and time on securing
| Windows they still couldn't do it. When your
| foundation is built on sand instead of rock,
| there's only so much any amount of patching
| can do to keep a house solid.
|
| No, if you really want a secure desktop you
| need either Linux or Mac OS X. Is either of
| these perfectly secure? No, no they're not.
| But, they are much more secure than Windows
| can ever be.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/security/105932/question-why-switch-linux-or-a-mac

Why Ubuntu excites me more than Windows or Macintosh

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu is a Debian-based distribution of
| Linux. What does that mean? Buggered if I
| know. If you do, and you are feeling a
| powerful urge, already, to recommend a
| different version of Linux, then let me stop
| you right there. Is it easier to use? Is it
| prettier? No? Well, not interested. Move
| along.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article7110657.ece

Recent:

Suddenly a Vista-phonic Moment

,----[ Quote ]
| I dumped Vista and put Ubuntu 9.04 and later
| 9.1 on the exact same DELL with NO hardware
| changes and it has never even hiccuped once.
| It has run without ANY failures and only has
| required one reboot (outside of new kernel
| installs)in the year since I installed Ubuntu
| 9.04.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10015150o-2000440676b,00.htm

GNU/Linux Security: Linux House vs Microsoft House

,----[ Quote ]
| How is GNU/Linux different? A GNU/Linux desktop
| system is designed from the ground up along the
| Unix model of multiple tasks with multiple
| users among multiple computers on a network. I
| will call this a many-many-many design. As such
| the basic design also includes consideration
| for securing the operating system and data on
| same when many users may have access to the
| same system simultaneously. Therefore, when a
| GNU/Linux computer is taken out of the box for
| the first time it already has a higher security
| capability. This is because of the many-many-
| many design that included consideration for
| security from the beginning.
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2009/10/23/gnulinux-security-linux-house-vs-microsoft-house/

10 Things Linux Does Better Than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techgage.com/article/10_things_linux_does_better_than_windows