[News] Video-on-demand Done with Linux; How to Spin One's Own PVR

  • Subject: [News] Video-on-demand Done with Linux; How to Spin One's Own PVR
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:40:43 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Canal Digital preparing to launch hybrid VOD

,----[ Quote ]
| Canal Digital is close to introducing a new
| Linux-based application that will bring in a
| new video-on-demand service for its satellite
| and cable customers. The initial plans were
| first revealed to Broadband TV News last
| November by Telenor Broadcast Holding CEO
| Christian Albech in an exclusive interview.
`----

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/04/26/canal-digital-preparing-to-launch-hybrid-vod/

How to build your own PVR for free

,----[ Quote ]
| Installing MythTV can be as easy or as
| difficult as you want to make it. You could
| install a plain vanilla Linux distro and then
| install and configure MythTV with a lot of
| nasty terminal and command-line work, but if
| you fancy going down the easy route, it's
| simple to install a Linux distro with MythTV
| built in to the installer.
|
| Some of them will be based on distros we're
| all familiar with (MythDora is based on
| Fedora/Red Hat, for example) and some will be
| a little more obscure. Ubuntu is one of the
| most widely used Linux distros, thanks in no
| small part to the user-friendly Windows/Mac
| feel of its front-end, and a Ubuntu
| installation with MythTV built-in is just too
| good an opportunity to pass up for this
| system.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/recording/how-to-build-your-own-pvr-for-free-684599

Recent:

Boxee Will Blow You Away

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee is a cross-platform freeware media center software with promising new
| social networking features. Boxee is based on XBMC media center, an award
| winning open source project. Since i had  already tested the latest XBMC
| 9.04, i was not expecting anything dramatic from an alpha release of Boxee. I
| was way wrong.
`----

http://ubuntumanual.org/posts/196/boxee-will-blow-you-away

Boxee vs. Zinc vs. Hulu

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as the BoxeeBox is concerned, I canât wait to revert to being back
| using a Linux platform for all my media streaming-media needs.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/boxee-vs-zinc-vs-hulu/

Boxee Battles Big Media

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee was first released in mid-2008 to users of Apple (AAPL) Macintosh
| computers and machines running the Linux operating system.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2009/tc20090512_237515.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_top+stories

Boxee hack restores Hulu (sort of)

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, Linux users will need to be patient for a few weeks while all
| these enhancements get phased into the Ubuntu version of Boxee, according to
| a Boxeeâs blog post on the new Hulu support.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/boxee-hack-restores-hulu-sort-of/

Why Does Everyone Heart Boxee?

,----[ Quote ]
| The buzz has been building for Boxee lately. Mainstream news outlets like The
| New York Times, BusinessWeek and NPR are getting hip to the little
| open-source media center that could quite possibly change the way you
| experience TV.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/02/06/why-does-everyone-heart-boxee/

Boxee now open to all Ubuntu, Mac, ATV users

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee has just opened up its free A/V media center platform to all Ubuntu,
| Mac, and AppleTV users. Additionally, Boxee for Windows has
| entered âprivate-alphaâ phase, during which prospective users apply for the
| software online and wait for a download link.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/boxee-now-open-to-all-ubuntu-mac-atv-users/

Boxee: Open Source Connected TV

http://www.pcworld.com/article/156759/boxee_connected_tv.html?tk=rss_news

Boxee does better

,----[ Quote ]
| So, credit where it is due - it at least looks like Boxee is trying to both
| recognize and comply with the GPL.
`----

http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/boxee-does-better/

Boxee plugs into Joost, MTV Music