[News] Why GNU/Linux is Not a "Hobbyist's OS"

  • Subject: [News] Why GNU/Linux is Not a "Hobbyist's OS"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:42:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Hobbyists OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's army of apologists like to
| spread the word that Linux is a "hobbyists
| OS", so this post is a look at what that
| means and why it's a label more suited to
| Windows. The attack is meant to draw
| attention to the fact that anyone can write
| code which appears in Linux, inferring the
| quality of the code is dubious. Basically,
| it can't be good quality if people outside
| the corporation write it.
|
| They try to paint the picture that while
| Windows just works, Linux needs a lot of
| tinkering to get anything done. It's
| pitched at both home users and businesses.
| For the home user it's about "you have to
| learn all this stuff, and spend hours
| fixing it" while the businesses get the
| "you have your staff PC's down for X hours
| so they can't be productive, while also
| spending extra wages on skilled IT people
| to fix and configure things." The
| implication is that "Windows is a better
| investment in man hours, productivity and
| cost, Linux costs you money."
|
| How many man hours do you have to spend on
| Windows doing virus scans, spyware scans
| etc? How many man hours do you have to
| spend Googling to find how to remove
| infection because your chosen protection
| tools can detect it but can't remove it?
| How can you assure your customers that
| their data is not compromised by some
| spyware your tools can't detect? How can
| you be assured that the site supposedly
| giving a solution to a particular virus is
| not itself a phishing scam waiting to sell
| you some software if you put your credit
| card details in or a script laden site
| ready to dump a whole new payload of
| malware on your plate?
`----

http://thistleweb.co.uk/blog/27/04/2010/hobbyists-os

Microsoft welcomes the pirates and then sinks them? + Linux usage may be wrong?

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâll let you decide, however next time you
| hear that Linux is âunprovenâ or a
| âhobbyistâ OS with a 1% market share,
| remind the person that this unproven
| hobbyist OS was not only responsible for
| the rather profitable Avatar film, but also
| seems to be responsible for considerably
| more activity than a 1% market share would
| imply.  Of course on top of that you have
| government bodies (which we have covered
| here) switching to Linux, but then as the
| Microsoft faithful would say, itâs merely a
| 1% shareâ ;)
|
| Surprising then that on the majority of
| tech forums this 1% is always visible, they
| must be a very busy 1%.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/microsoft-welcomes-the-pirates-and-then-sinks-them-linux-usage-may-be-wrong/

Related:

One Day I Will Switch from Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPhone is amazing, iTV shows great promise, and just about every piece of
| software they make is wonderful. And in spite of all that, one day I see
| myself switching to Linux.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/in-the-future-i/

Apple: Youâre too dumb to make your own technology decisions

,----[ Quote ]
| I felt exactly the same way when I read Cory Doctorowâs blog post on how
| Appleâs new iPods have been re-engineered to block synching with Linux. Apple
| knows better than you. God forbid you should have choice and be able to make
| some technology decisions for yourself. Of course, Apple is engaged in all
| sorts of unspeakable acts of walled-garden erection: âOS X may runneth on the
| Intel platform but thou shalt not runneth OS X on anything but our Intel
| platform.â Iâd be running OS X in a heartbeat if only I could run it on a
| notebook with a pointing stick (I hate touch pads).
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=780

After Big Win in Microsoft Case, EU Sets Sights on iTunes

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/09/17/after-big-win-in-microsoft-case-eu-sets-sights-on-itunes/?mod=yahoo_hs
http://tinyurl.com/2jj57a