[News] New Games for GNU/Linux: Speed Dreams, Osmos, Eschalon Book II Comes Soon, Scorched 3D Intrduced

  • Subject: [News] New Games for GNU/Linux: Speed Dreams, Osmos, Eschalon Book II Comes Soon, Scorched 3D Intrduced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:04:22 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Speed Dreams 3D motorsport simulator updated

,----[ Quote ]
| The Speed Dreams developers have announced
| the availability of version 1.4.0 of their
| open source 3D motor sport simulator. Speed
| Dreams is a fork of The Open Racing Car
| Simulator (TORCS) that includes a number of
| additional features, cars, tracks and AI
| opponents.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Speed-Dreams-3D-motorsport-simulator-updated-983206.html

Osmos For GNU/Linux Has Been Released !

,----[ Quote ]
| After a short testing beta Osmos from
| Hemisphere Games has finally arrived to
| GNU/Linux !
| Osmos only costs $10 so you cannot afford
| not to buy it !
`----

http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/osmos-for-gnulinux-has-been-released/

Eschalon: Book II Release Date Announced !

,----[ Quote ]
| Basilisk Games, Inc. today announced the
| release date for Eschalon: Book II for
| Windows, Macintosh and Linux.
`----

http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/eschalon-book-ii-release-date-announced/

Scorched 3D is one hot battle game

,----[ Quote ]
| Scorched 3D is a modernization of the
| classic DOS game Scorched Earth. Itâs a
| simple turn-based artillery game and a
| real-time strategy game in which players
| can counter each otherâs weapons with
| creative accessories, shields, and tactics.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/blog/scorched-3d-is-one-hot-battle-game/

Recent:

Valve Pulls Its Unreleased Linux Client From Server

,----[ Quote ]
| These files included the Steam Linux client
| binary and all of the other Linux libraries
| that are needed for the client. These files
| haven't just been sitting around, but Valve
| has actively been updating the Linux-
| specific bits as we noted yesterday.
| However, exposing Steam / Source is indeed
| coming over to Linux, prior to Valve
| announcing it, has generated a fair amount
| of attention around the Internet.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE3OA

Yes, More Steam & Source Engine Linux Details

,----[ Quote ]
| Valve rolled out their "Steam 2010 Client"
| to Windows gamers today, which brings a new
| user-interface and other improvements
| (here's the details for those interested),
| and is also what their forthcoming Mac OS X
| client is based upon. Hidden within this
| major Steam client update are more
| references to Linux.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE4Mw

Enemy Territory Quake Wars - OMG!

,----[ Quote ]
| I have missed my train with ETQW, but it's
| never too late to start. This is a fabulous
| game with extremely pleasing graphics, a
| rich and detailed gameplay, and the fun
| bits that made Wolfenstein so popular. At
| just seven dollars on Amazon, it's a
| mistake not to buy it.
|
| Enemy Territory Quake Wars seems like a
| very smart investment. And if you have
| decent hardware with a Linux distribution
| on top of it, then here's a good chance to
| put it to some good use. If you have
| skeptic friends who may point out that
| Mahjongg is the only game running on Linux,
| again, you have a gloating platform and
| some lovely screenshots to show.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/etqw.html

Alien Arena 2010 Coming "In A Few Weeks"

,----[ Quote ]
| While Alien Arena 2009 brought numerous
| improvements to this open-source game, John
| Diamond has been hard at work on Alien
| Arena 2010. We received a message from John
| saying this inaugural 2010 release will
| feature "a host of updates, new content and
| bugfixes." He also said the release will
| arrive in a matter of weeks. Though in
| anticipation of the Alien Arena 2010
| release he has put out a trailer (embedded
| below) and also updated screenshots on this
| media page.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE4MA

Valve Updates Its Unreleased Steam Linux Client

,----[ Quote ]
| For those still not believing the situation
| and thinking this is just some hacked-up
| client in a back-room at Valve Corporation,
| their Steam Linux libraries were just updated
| in the past hours. From their Steam Linux
| client file that hosts the checksums, their
| Linux libraries file was bumped from
| bins_linux.zip.dc36f31374267ad4a740762a6cf1925ed30bcab9 to
| bins_linux.zip.232c70b3e732009cab1858499ca4f1c92ffd7367.
| Running a strings check against the
| shared objects on the two versions, there are
| multiple string changes to be found
| (particularly within linux32/steamclient.so).
| In other words, the Steam Linux client is
| still actively being worked on. This is Linux-
| specific work and not generic Steam platform
| bits, which are hosted in other files.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE3NA

Proof in Steam of Linux Support?

,----[ Quote ]
| There are lots of  good native games for
| Linux, but the idea that Valve might bring
| over some of the big guns like Half-Life,
| Portal, and Team Fortress is near
| intoxicating for this Linux gamer!
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/04/proof-in-steam-of-linux-support/

Proof In Steam's Mac Client Of Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| We have our hands on the bash launcher used
| by Valve's Steam client for Mac OS X that
| was recently announced -- along with the
| Source Engine for OS X -- and is currently
| in closed beta. While such scripts are
| usually insignificant, there is something
| interesting within it and that is explicit
| support for Linux.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=steam_linux_script&num=1

Yet More Signs Of Valve's Steam On Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday we reported on Proof In Steam's
| Mac Client Of Linux Support as we received
| the bash launcher used by the closed-beta
| Steam on Mac OS X that showed support for
| Linux. Today there are yet more signs of
| Linux support when studying Valve's Mac OS
| X client.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE3MQ

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| As the Linux gaming community was horribly
| shafted once before already by Epic Games
| with Unreal Tournament 3, that is
| understandable if you are skeptical until
| you see Valve's official announcement.
| However, from seeing these actual files to
| the other proof and the information from
| sources, I am 100% confident that the Steam
| client / Source engine are coming to Linux.
| If my information is correct, an official
| announcement regarding this Linux support
| may be here by this June.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE3Mw

Installing Speed Dreams 1.4.0 RC1 On Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Speed Dreams is is a free, 3d cross-
| platform, open source motorsport simulation
| and racing game, released under the GNU
| General Public License (GPL). This guide
| shows how to install it on an Ubuntu 9.10
| desktop.
`----

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-speed-dreams-1.4.0-rc1-on-ubuntu-9.10

Steam could be coming to Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| But rumours are also doing the rounds that
| Valve is hiring Linux and Mac developers so
| there could be something in it.
`----

http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/2/26/steam-could-be-coming-to-mac/

Steam Client For Linux Confirmed: Linux Libraries Appear In Left 4 Dead Demo

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year we shared that Valve's Source Engine is coming to Linux
| after receiving some information that pointed in this direction. In addition,
| a year ago Valve Software was publicly looking for a senior software engineer
| to port Windows-based games to Linux platform. There have long been rumors
| and hopes among Linux users that Steam games would become natively available
| for Linux, but we have additional confirmation that Valve Software has ported
| their Steam game client to Linux. In Valve's most recent title, Left 4 Dead,
| there are shared Linux libraries shipping alongside this Windows game client.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=steam_confirmation&num=1

Google To Acquire Valve??? News

,----[ Quote ]
| According to The Inquirer and 'well placed sources', Google is on the verge
| of acquiring Half-Life and Left 4 Dead developers, Valve Software, with an
| potential announcement at this week's Game Developers Conference in Austin,
| Texas.
|
| Google's main interest in the firm apparently rests with Valve's Steam
| content distribution system, which has become increasing popular with
| publishers in the last couple of years as a way to digitally distribute their
| titles. So far, the likes of 2K Games, Eidos, and Activision have all signed
| up to Steam, alongside indie studios such as Introversion (Darwinia) and
| Media Molecule (Rag Doll Kung Fu).
`----

http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/Google_To_Acquire_Valve_13773_7214_0.htm

Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| There have been rumors since last year that Valve may be serious about
| porting Source games to Linux after Valve Software began seeking a senior
| software engineer with the responsibility of porting Windows-based games to
| the Linux platform. Valve Software has yet to officially announce Linux
| clients for any of its software, but at Phoronix we have received information
| confirming that Valve is indeed porting its very popular Source engine to the
| Linux platform.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=source_linux&num=1

id Software Starts Work On Doom 4!

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to the good news we broke this morning that Valve is porting the
| Source engine to Linux, id Software has announced today that they have begun
| work on Doom 4!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ2Ng

Related: