[News] Digital Economy Bill Loopholes Found, Deception Found in BPI

  • Subject: [News] Digital Economy Bill Loopholes Found, Deception Found in BPI
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:48:31 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Wi-Fi broadband 'loophole' in Digital Economy

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, it was reported that Nick Clegg
| had suggested that if the Liberal Democrats
| win the election they will repeal the
| digital economy bill.
`----

http://top10.com/broadband/news/2010/04/wi_fi_broadband_loophole_in_digital_economy_act/

UK election: ask your candidates if they'll repeal the Digital Economy Act

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/27/uk-election-ask-your.html

BPI issue sunny news release, make themselves cry to stop us thinking it's alright now

,----[ Quote ]
| Great news from the BPI: Despite the UK
| economy having been in recession last year,
| the UK music industry saw an increase in
| sales. In money terms:
|
|     A strong fourth quarter and increased
|     digital income streams offset the
|     reduced sales of physical formats as
|     the UK recorded music market reported a
|     modest 1.4% annual increase in total
|     trade income for 2009 of Â928.8m, BPIâs
|     annual survey of industry income
|     revealed today.
|
| Brilliant news, eh? Champagne all round,
| barkeep and...
|
| Oh, hang on: if digital sales are growing
| so strongly, then that kind-of makes the
| arguments that without supertight new
| copyright laws, the music industry will
| vanish look like a bit of a fib. Quick,
| everyone, turn those grins upside-down...
`----

http://xrrf.blogspot.com/2010/04/bpi-issue-sunny-news-release-make.html

Don't secure your wifi!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Firstly let me stress that there a lot of
| really good reasons to secure your network,
| not least of which are privacy of your
| machines and data, viruses spreading, and
| even costs (you may pay for usage of your
| internet!). If you have fire-walling
| facilities allowing you to run a DMZ (de-
| militarized zone) for public wifi that is
| safer.
|
| However, the Digital Economy Act has just
| turned things on their head slightly. It
| actually encourages you to run an open
| wifi.
`----

http://revk.www.me.uk/2010/04/dont-secure-your-wifi.html

Recent:

Digital economy bill backlash dominates e-election debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Only one thing mattered to the UK's digital
| constituency this week: the digital economy
| bill. The election date announcement meant
| the #debill, as it is referred to on
| Twitter, was hurried through parliament
| before the election.
|
| An ambitious bill designed to kickstart the
| UK's broadband-enabled future and tackle
| internet piracy, it deserved more scrutiny
| than two hours' late-night discussion in an
| empty chamber, but was passed on Wednesday
| with Tory support.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/apr/09/digital-economy-bill-backlash

Leaders sign up for online debate

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8611528.stm

My digital pledges

,----[ Quote ]
| After the passing of the Digital Economy
| Act last week and before the political
| parties each launch a manifesto next week,
| I wanted to ask your advice on my own
| Internet pledges.
|
| [...]
|
| I believe that copyright and software
| patent laws should be reformed to reflect
| the needs of citizens in the Internet age.
`----

http://www.tom-watson.co.uk/2010/04/my-digital-pledges/

The Red Flag Act 2010 (#DEBill and the Locomotive Acts)

,----[ Quote ]
| The Tory and Labour parties colluded in
| forcing through a piece of draft
| legislation today - the Digital Economy
| Bill - which is one of the most barefaced
| examples of Olde Media trying to protect
| it's position via legislative muscle.
`----

http://broadstuff.com/archives/2161-The-Red-Flag-Act-2010-DEBill-and-the-Locomotive-Acts.html

A letter to my MP

,----[ Quote ]
| I am writing firstly to commend you for
| your attendance at the Digital Economy Bill
| Second Reading last night. I was one of
| thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of
| people watching the reading unfold on
| Twitter. By now perhaps some MPs and party
| strategists are digesting what happened but
| I wished to pick out a few things that
| seemed particularly relevant, particularly
| in the context of a general election.
|
| [...]
|
| Finally I would note that, while you were
| present, the lack of other Liberal
| Democrats in the house was noted. This is a
| natural constituency for your party. Indeed
| Bath has a vibrant technology community as
| you are no doubt aware. I hope your party
| strategists have seen the damage that was
| done last night and I hope they draw the
| logical conclusion. If the Liberal
| Democrats turn out in force tonight and
| bury this bill at the third reading then it
| will make a difference to your electoral
| results. If you want a hung parliament,
| this is the way to get it.
`----

http://cameronneylon.net/blog/a-letter-to-my-mp/

Big Musicâs IFPI calls for â3 strikesâ action

,----[ Quote ]
| The ink isnât even dry on Britainâs digital
| economy bill and Vivendi Universal
| (France), Sony (Japan), EMI (Britain), and
| Warner Music (US, but controlled by a
| Canadian) are already crowing.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/37996

Mandybill: It ain't over yet

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs a bit premature to declare winners and
| losers from the Digital Economy Bill just
| yet. The Open Rights Group may have given
| up campaigning â having already turned its
| front page into a giant click-through
| recruitment poster* - but the fight's not
| over. The legislation may yet fall.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/08/mandybill_last_day/

International trade can't ration finite fossil fuels or tuna,
but enthusiastically restricts infinite knowledge

,----[ Quote ]
| Colin Jackson, a commenter on a blog, on
| the miserable state of international law:
| "What a pity international governments
| don't seem to be able to make an agreement
| to ration finite resources like tuna,
| atmospheric carbon or fossil fuels, but
| instead devote their time to making an
| international agreement enforcing controls
| over something that costs no resources to
| copy."
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/12/international-trade.html

Digital Economy Bill is "a victory for consumers", says Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The Digital Economy Bill's passing into law is
| "a victory for consumer empowerment" according
| to Neil Thompson, general manager of
| Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division.
|
| [...]
|
| The Digital Economy Bill as a whole is
| anything but a victory for consumers - it has
| highlighted serious failings in our
| Parliamentary process and a pandering to an
| industry that still lives in the dark ages. We
| fail to see how Thompson thinks that
| disconnecting users from the internet for
| alleged file sharing is a victory for
| consumers.
`----

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/general/277567/digital-economy-bill-is-a-victory-for-consumers-says-microsoft

Digital economy bill: One clown giveth and the other clown taketh away

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/apr/06/digital-economy-bill-richard-stallman