[News] Analysis of Microsoft's Latest Extortion Against Linux (Android)

  • Subject: [News] Analysis of Microsoft's Latest Extortion Against Linux (Android)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:49:40 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

HTC pays off Microsoft in Linux protection racket

,----[ Quote ]
| CONVICTED MONOPOLIST Microsoft has managed
| to squeeze money from the smartphone maker
| HTC for using some of its much talked about
| but never revealed patents that Microsoft
| claims implicate Linux as part of the
| Android OS.
|
| According to the Vole's press website,
| Microsoft and HTC have signed a patent
| agreement that provides broad coverage
| under Microsoft's patent portfolio for
| HTC's mobile phones running the Android
| mobile operating system. Under the terms of
| the agreement, Microsoft will receive
| royalties from HTC.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1603069/htc-pays-microsoft-linux-protection-racket

Microsoft Cross-Licensing Tactic May Get Teeth Pulled Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| I have often argued that the
| diversification of Linux has always been
| one of its big strengths: the richer the
| distribution ecosystem is, the richer the
| application set, and so forth.
|
| Today we saw another example of why the
| decentralized nature of Linux is such a
| plus, when Microsoft revealed it believes
| Android infringes on its patents--a stick
| Microsoft was willing to use when it
| offered Taiwanese phone maker HTC the
| carrot of a yet another cross-licensing
| agreement.
|
| [...]
|
| I, for one, would be happy as a clam to see
| software patent portfolios get blown out of
| the water and let software companies
| compete in terms of the things that matter,
| rather than vague threats and insinuations.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/106025/microsoft-cross-licensing-tactic-may-get-teeth-pulled-soon

Is the Microsoft-HTC patent deal more about Linux or Apple?

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple sued HTC in early March for alleged
| IP infringement in the mobile phone space.
| Apple is claiming HTC is infringing 20
| Apple patents related to the iPhoneâs user
| interface, underlying architecture and
| hardware.
|
| When Apple sued HTC, I asked Microsoft for
| comment, thinking Microsoft execs might be
| willing to come to HTCâs defense â to some
| extent, at least â given HTC sells Windows
| Mobile phones, as well as Android-based
| ones. But Microsoft officials wouldnât
| provide a statement of any kind.
|
| A statement I received from a Microsoft
| spokesperson makes a not-so-thinly-veiled
| reference to the Apple case (at least the
| way I read it):
|
|     âAs you may be aware, many technology
|     companies active in the growing
|     smartphone space have been taking
|     increasing steps to protect their
|     inventions. As the two companies have a
|     long history of technical and
|     commercial collaboration, Microsoft
|     views this agreement as an effective
|     example of how industry leaders can
|     reach commercially reasonable
|     arrangements that address intellectual
|     property concerns.â
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=6026

Rob Enderle trivialises it:

Microsoft's HTC License for Android: Why the Microsoft/Google War Shifted to Microsoft

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/enderle/microsofts-htc-license-for-android-why-the-microsoftgoogle-war-shifted-to-microsoft/?cs=40900

Microsoft signs Android patent deal with HTC

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2713043520100428?type=marketsNews

Microsoft Signs Android Patent Deal With HTC

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/04/28/1754234/Microsoft-Signs-Android-Patent-Deal-With-HTC

Microsoft Announces Patent Agreement With HTC

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2010/apr10/04-27MSHTCPR.mspx

Microsoft Signs Android Patent Deal with HTC

Microsoft â Vampires to suck revenue from HTC / Android?

,----[ Quote ]
| On a recommendation of a friend I tried
| Android, specifically with the HTC Hero.  I
| was very impressed, not only at how much I
| could do, but how quickly I could do it.
|
| So now we see a world where Microsoft does
| not need to deploy a phone or an OS.  They
| can simply wait and then play a patent card
| in the hope they can cream royalties of the
| top of someone elseâs success (and I think
| its agreed that HTC/Android combo is a
| great product)
|
| Theres a great message to innovators out
| there: Dont create anything too popular or
| functional as you may find a hungry pair of
| Microsoft eyes watching youâ..
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/microsoft-vampires-to-suck-revenue-from-htc-android/

Microsoft's chief bully is deliberately spreading more FUD:

Microsoft says Android infringes on its patents, licenses HTC (update: talking to other Android manufacturers as well)

,----[ Quote ]
| Update: Microsoft deputy general counsel of intellectual property
| Horacio Gutierrez just sent us a statement saying that the company's
| been "talking to several device manufacturers to address our concerns
| relative to the Android mobile platform."
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/28/microsoft-says-android-infringes-on-its-patents-licenses-htc/

Related:

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sun-exec-accuses-Microsoft-of-patent-terrorism-/0,130061733,339280437,00.htm

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html