[News] [Rival] The Apple-Apathetic Turns Against Apple After Raiding for Abuse of Blogger After Suggestive Letters

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] The Apple-Apathetic Turns Against Apple After Raiding for Abuse of Blogger After Suggestive Letters
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:51:23 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Evil Has Multiple Heads

,----[ Quote ]
| We should not ignore Apple any longer as
| the enemy of our enemy. Apple is not our
| friend. Three years ago, I enlightened my
| brother about the merits of GNU/Linux as
| compared to MacOS. For schools, there is
| not much comparison. Appleâs products cost
| much more than free software and hardware.
| They do not really work any better either.
| Schools do not need software whose supplier
| has made a deal with the devil to be
| allowed to run on Appleâs hardware.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/28/evil-has-multiple-heads/

Cops Bust Into Gizmodo Editor's Home And Seize Computers, Documents In iPhone Probe (AAPL)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/04/26/businessinsider-cops-bust-into-gizmodo-editors-home-and-seize-computers-documents-in-iphone-probe-2010-4.DTL

Computers Seized at Home of Gizmodo Reporter Who Wrote About iPhone, Gawker Media Says

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/computers-seized-at-home-of-gizmodo-reporter-who-wrote-about-iphone-gawker-media-says/

cartoon:

That Lost 4G Phone

http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/thatlost4gphone/

Apple sued by Elan Microelectronics over touch-screen technology

,----[ Quote ]
| The sale of Apple's iPhone and iPad in the
| US is under threat after the US
| International Trade Commission initiated a
| formal investigation into the company for
| allegedly infringing a patent covering
| multi-touch technology.
|
| The ITC, which has the power to ban the
| import and sale of products, said it was
| responding to a request from the Taiwanese
| touchscreen maker Elan Microelectronics,
| which has a patent for technology that
| detects the simultaneous presence of two or
| more fingers on a touchscreen or touchpad.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article7109632.ece

What is Apple Inc.'s role in task force investigating iPhone case?

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea was to bring a variety of business
| interests and police agencies together to
| help combat identity theft, computer fraud,
| and the like. The team's website explains
| that "high tech companies ... provide
| specialized training, liaison personnel and
| internal support for task force
| investigations."
|
| What's curious is that one of those high-
| tech companies providing training,
| personnel, and support to the task force is
| Apple Inc., the alleged victim in the
| Gizmodo case. According to this May 2009
| story from the San Jose Business Journal,
| Apple is one of the 25 companies that sit
| on REACT's "steering committee." Which
| raises the question as to whether Apple,
| which was outraged enough about Gizmodo's
| $5,000 purchase of the lost iPhone for CEO
| Steve Jobs to reportedly call Gawker Media
| owner Nick Denton to demand its return,
| sicked its high-tech cops on Chen.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1795

Apple Just Says Yes to iPhone Game for Smokers

,----[ Quote ]
| Blogs and message boards have been lighting
| up with the buzz about Appleâs family-
| friendly App Store policy, which bans soft
| porn and satire â but a game that glorifies
| smoking somehow got the green light.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/iphone-smoking-game/

Apple Bans Online Sales In Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The comments in the Japanese business
| newspapers suggest that Apple believes
| online shopping confers an aura of
| 'cheapness' on their products; but surely
| killing the Apple store's competition must
| have entered into the calculation.
`----

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/04/27/2323219/Apple-Bans-Online-Sales-In-Japan

OverREACTing: Dissecting the Gizmodo Warrant

,----[ Quote ]
| Federal and California law both protect
| reporters against police searches aimed at
| uncovering confidential sources or seizing
| other information developed during
| newsgathering activities. Yet on Friday,
| agents with the Rapid Enforcement Allied
| Computer Team (REACT) executed a search
| warrant at Gizmodo editor Jason Chenâs
| home, searching for evidence related to
| Gizmodo's scoop on what appears to be a
| pre-release version of Apple's next iPhone
| model. The warrant does not reveal whether
| Chen himself is considered a criminal
| suspect, or what alleged crime the police
| are investigating, but Chen was not
| arrested. All of his computers and hard
| drives (among other materials) were seized
| for further search and analysis.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/gizmodo-search-warrant-illegal

Recent:

Cops raid Gizmodo editor in pursuit of iPhone 4G 'felony'

,----[ Quote ]
| Gizmodo editor Jason Chen has been raided
| by Silicon Valley's computer crime force in
| hot pursuit of the case of the missing
| iPhone prototype. According to a bulletin
| published by Gizmodo today, they broke down
| the front door to gain entry, and departed
| some hours later with a truck containing
| Chen's computer equipment.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/26/gizmodo_iphone4_raid/

Police Seize Jason Chen's Computers

,----[ Quote ]
| Last Friday night, California's Rapid
| Enforcement Allied Computer Team entered
| editor Jason Chen's home without him
| present, seizing four computers and two
| servers. They did so using a warrant by
| Judge of Superior Court of San Mateo.
| According to Gaby Darbyshire, COO of Gawker
| Media LLC, the search warrant to remove
| these computers was invalid under section
| 1524(g) of the California Penal Code.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/5524843/police-seize-jason-chens-computers

A Letter: Apple Wants Its Secret iPhone Back

http://gizmodo.com/5520479/a-letter-apple-wants-its-secret-iphone-back

Appeals Court Upholds Ruling That Blog Commenter Was Not A Journalist

,----[ Quote ]
| While lots of attention was paid to the
| claims that the confiscation of Gizmodo
| reporter Jason Chen's computer's would
| "settle" whether bloggers are considered
| journalists, the details in that case
| suggest otherwise. However, a much more
| important case on that particular question
| was decided late last week. It's the case
| of Shellee Hale, which we've covered in the
| past. Basically, Hale posted some
| information claiming a security breach at
| another company. She revealed this
| information as a comment on another site --
| and when she was sued, the company demanded
| she reveal where she got that information
| from. She claimed that her sources were
| protected, as she was a journalist.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100427/0121149190.shtml

The Tales of Two Top Secret Stolen Smartphone Prototypes

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/04/19/the-tales-of-two-top-secret-stolen-smartphone-prototypes/

Gizmodoâs iPhone 4 story, as painted by PC World and IDGâs Apple haters

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/04/21/gizmodos-iphone-4-story-as-painted-by-pc-world-and-idgs-apple-haters/

Want Porn? Buy an Android Phone, Steve Jobs Says

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite yesterdayâs iPhone debacle, Jobs
| was still in a chatty-enough mood to
| respond to a concerned customerâs e-mail
| questioning Appleâs role as âmoral policeâ
| of its App Store. The customer, Matthew
| Browing, was referring to the App Storeâs
| initial rejection of an app containing Mark
| Fioreâs Pulitzer-winning editorial cartoon,
| as well as the companyâs recent porn ban.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/steve-jobs-porn

Steve Jobs: 'Folks Who Want Porn Can Buy An Android Phone'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/20/steve-jobs-reiterates-fol_n_544045.html