[News] ARM to Gain at the Expense of x86 (Great for GNU/Linux)

  • Subject: [News] ARM to Gain at the Expense of x86 (Great for GNU/Linux)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 23:18:28 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

âSources believeâ

,----[ Quote ]
| I always wonder about unnamed sources. It is
| very easy for Wintel or Wintelâs partners to
| put out false news. Alarm bells go off in my
| head when the sources suggest the good old
| days will return soon. You cannot put the
| genie of the netbook back in the bottle.
| Acer has the inside track distributing such
| gadgets to ISPs, banks, etc. The developing
| markets can absorb billions of these things
| running ARM and GNU/Linux, just not x86 and
| that other OSâ
|
| In physics, this is described as a
| âpopulation inversionâ. A higher energy
| level of atoms tends to drop to a lower
| energy level as conditions permit. That is
| the principle used by many lasers. One atom
| decaying triggers the others.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/30/sources-believe/

ARM takes on the server big boys

,----[ Quote ]
| DESIGNER OF CHIPS ARM claims that servers
| using its multi-core chips will go up
| against Intel within the next 12 months.
|
| Talking to EE Times, Warren East, ARM
| Holdings' CEO, said that while its chips
| have traditionally been used in "relatively
| low performance" roles the firm's
| architecture can "support server application
| as it is". East said that the company is
| cranking out multi-core chip designs running
| at "up to 2GHz".
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1603625/arm-takes-server-boys

Recent:

Quad-Core ARM Aquila CPU Coming to Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Quad-Core-ARM-Aquila-CPU-Coming-to-Netbooks-140412.shtml