[News] Great News for GNU/Linux and ARM on OLPC Sub-notebooks

  • Subject: [News] Great News for GNU/Linux and ARM on OLPC Sub-notebooks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 23:15:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

UN to buy 500,000 OLPC laptops for Palestinian children

,----[ Quote ]
| The computers run the open-source Sugar
| software suite, marking a return to OLPC's
| roots after a flirtation with running
| Windows XP on its emblematic green-and-white
| XO laptops.
|
| Sugar is now developed by a separate
| organization, Sugar Labs, which also offers
| versions of its Activities software for
| Windows, or on a bootable USB stick running
| on top of a Linux kernel.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/idg/2010-04-29/un-to-buy-500-000-olpc-laptops-for-palestinian-children.html

One Laptop per Child targets Middle East and E Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| The rugged machines - which are designed
| specifically for children in the developing
| world and run both Linux and Microsoft
| Windows - are now offered in single units
| for around $200 each.

Transflective screens finally shipping, Pixel Qi claims

,----[ Quote ]
| Pixel Qi (pronounced "Pixel Chee"), which
| describes itself as a "fabless developer of
| a new class of screens," is a spinoff from
| OLPC (One Laptop Per Child), where the
| former's founder Mary Lou Jepsen is said to
| have invented the XO-1 laptop's sunlight-
| readable display technology. Pictured below,
| the technology allows a portable computer's
| screen to be switched from a standard,
| backlit color mode to a reflective
| monochrome mode, saving power and allowing
| the device to be used even in direct, strong
| sunlight.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Pixel-Qi-screens-on-sale-in-specialized-products/

Recent:

OLPC in Paraguay educates both little kids and teenagers

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://stop.zona-m.net/node/147