[News] New Examples of Free Software Paradigm in Hardware

  • Subject: [News] New Examples of Free Software Paradigm in Hardware
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 15:04:20 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Qbo open-source robot wants to be Ford Model T of âbots

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source and DIY robotics should be the
| ideal match, but the expense of robot
| hardware often puts it out of reach for all
| but the most deep-pocketed enthusiast.  Five
| years ago Francisco Paz decided to produce
| not only his own robot, Qbo, but to open-
| source the project so that hopefully the
| cost of entry would be lower for anyone else
| wanting to follow in his footsteps.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/qbo-open-source-robot-wants-to-be-ford-model-t-of-bots-2883431/

Is It Possible To Create And Launch Your Own Satellite?

,----[ Quote ]
| Satellite engineer Song Hojun has developed
| a DIY personal satellite that can be
| launched and operated at a reasonable cost.
| Hojunâs Open Source Satellite Initiative
| makes it possible for regular people to
| develop and eventually launch their own
| satellites. He gave a presentation
| demonstrating his satellite at the Machine
| Project last week.
`----

http://www.psfk.com/2010/04/is-it-possible-to-create-and-launch-your-own-satellite.html

The disruptive future of printing