[News] Virtualisation Gives More Room for GNU/Linux on Desktops

  • Subject: [News] Virtualisation Gives More Room for GNU/Linux on Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 23:22:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Virtual Linux: Platform and OS Linux Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Virtual Linux is accomplished through many
| techniques, ranging from emulation to platform
| to OS virtualization. Indeed, Linux is a
| unique operating system in its breadth of
| virtualization solutions that are available.
| In this article, we'll explore the various
| ways that virtualization is achieved and then
| review the various solutions provided through
| virtual Linux.
|
| When we talk about virtualization solutions,
| we tend to talk about specific products
| offered by specific companies. But when we
| talk about virtualization solutions with
| Linux, we instead talk about a rich and
| diverse open source ecosystem.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3879871/Virtual-Linux-Platform-and-OS-Linux-Virtualization.htm

Gamers Mad at Sony for Yanking PS3's Linux Compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| A group of Linux users has filed suit
| against Sony, upset about the company
| yanking Linux capability from its
| PlayStation 3 (PS3) game console.
|
| When PS3 made its debut in 2006, it gave
| users the option to run a so-called
| alternate operating system, something that
| couldn't be said of Nintendo Wii or Xbox.
| The "Install Other OS" feature was popular
| among gamers who used Linux, the Unix
| operating system that is free to download.
`----

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/05/ps3_suit.html

Recent:

Guest operating system support: Microsoft's conflict

,----[ Quote ]
| That last sentence resonates with me. It does
| change the story when you are the OS maker.
| And it runs in direct contrast to what the
| goals of a hypervisor vendor should be. To
| me, that statement read, "To promote a
| unified support model between the many
| applications, OSes and marketing teams within
| Microsoft, we are imposing artificial
| limitations on Hyper-V support."
|
| We have seen Microsoft impose such limits
| this before, as it did in adjusting its
| virtualization licensing to limit the
| advanced VMware features that Microsoft's own
| virtualization products could not support. As
| soon as Hyper-V could support these features,
| Microsoft made its licensing models more
| friendly. Windows has been restricted to
| promote Hyper-V, and now Hyper-V has been
| restricted to promote newer Microsoft OSes.
`----

http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/news/column/0,294698,sid94_gci1443339,00.html

Why Microsoft is sabotaging desktop virtualization

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/virtualization/why-microsoft-sabotaging-desktop-virtualization-066?source=IFWNLE_nlt_daily_2009-08-11