[News] GNU/Linux On The Desktop Enters from New Routes

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux On The Desktop Enters from New Routes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 23:20:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux On The Desktop?

,----[ Quote ]
| While Linux based systems drive some cell
| phones and can be found in ordinary PCs,
| the primary competition between Red Hat and
| Novell has been in the âenterprise space,â
| that segment of the software universe which
| focuses on linking business users to
| databases. Now, Red Hat has announced its
| intention to move into the âbusiness
| desktopâ market with a new series of
| adaptations. According to Red Hat, âThis
| will be a more comprehensive offering that
| will target markets like the small and
| medium-sized business [SMB] sector and
| emerging markets. Part of this strategy is
| to get the desktop more to the masses than
| our existing client is getting today.â
|
| [...]
|
| Itâs a great operating system, but plug-
| and-play functionality for home computers
| isnât there yet. And neither Red Hat nor
| Novell have any intention of invading the
| home consumer âspace.â For now, theyâre
| content to battle it out by expanding their
| business-based products.
`----

http://technologysolutionslive.com/2010/05/linux-on-the-desktop/

Using Linux again - on an Acer Aspire 250D

,----[ Quote ]
| So, I wanted to use Linux again and decided to
| give it a try. I first tried to install
| Mandriva 2010.0 on it but it would hang on
| booting after the installation was
| successfully completed. Looking around I found
| many people having the same problem but no
| solution as it's a bug in this release. I
| found the hint of using 2009.1 instead and
| tried that and it worked.
`----

http://nafcom.blogspot.com/2010/05/using-linux-again-on-acer-aspire-250d.html

Ballnux:

openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 6: The Dust Begins to Settle

,----[ Quote ]
| Milestone 6 (of 7), a snapshot of the Factory
| âwork in progressâ build, leading up to
| openSUSE 11.3 release in July, is now
| available for download.
`----

http://news.opensuse.org/2010/05/03/opensuse-11-3-milestone-6-the-dust-begins-to-settle/

Recent:

Can you think of a better way to spread the use of Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/05/can-you-think-of-better-way-to-spread.html