[News] Thoughts and Ideas About Free Software as a Business and Licensing Model

  • Subject: [News] Thoughts and Ideas About Free Software as a Business and Licensing Model
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 11:31:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FOSS community, FOSS business, and the nature of allies

,----[ Quote ]
| Nothing I have pointed out is meant to
| detract from the genuine service that FOSS-
| oriented companies have done for the
| community. Besides the frequent addition of
| code, FOSS-oriented companies have made free
| software better known that it ever was before
| their involvement. Furthermore, Canonical in
| particular has dragged the community
| collectively screaming into discussions of
| usability that the community had previously
| ignored.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfield-s-Blog/FOSS-community-FOSS-business-and-the-nature-of-allies

You can't even drive free software without a license

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the lack of reporting standards puts
| a burden on vendors, but the industry is
| addressing this. I'm co-chairing the
| Software Package Data Exchange working
| group of FOSSBazaar, part of the Linux
| Foundation. We are developing a standard
| way to describe all of the licensing
| information that applies to a software
| package. This will provide guidance to and
| ease the burden on suppliers, and
| ultimately make it easier for everyone to
| do the right thing. More on that in a
| future blog.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/60837