[News] More New Evidence That Linux is Beating the Apple hypePhone

  • Subject: [News] More New Evidence That Linux is Beating the Apple hypePhone
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 11:32:58 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Official: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Will Get Android 2.1 in Q4

,----[ Quote ]
| Android 2.1 will go a long way to put the
| Xperia X10 on the same playing field as
| other smart phones.  However, we can't help
| but think it may still be a little too late
| for most people.  Keep an eye out for minor
| updates in the interim as they're already
| scheduled for the next few weeks.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/05/official-sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-android-21-q4/

Slider version of MyTouch 3G adds voice command button

,----[ Quote ]
| T-Mobile announced a new version of its
| HTC-manufactured MyTouch 3G smartphone
| featuring a QWERTY keyboard, Android 2.1,
| and an updated T-Mobile UI layer with a
| voice-command "Genius Button." The mid-
| range MyTouch 3G Slide offers a 3.4-inch
| touchscreen, WiFi, Bluetooth, a five-
| megapixel camera, and 8GB of preinstalled
| memory, says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/TMobile-MyTouch-3G-Slide-/?kc=rss

G-1 to Nexus One: an informal comparison

,----[ Quote ]
| My wife thinks itâs significant that the
| Nexis One is thinner and lighter than the
| G-1. I donât, really, but then I have
| larger hands and larger pockets than she
| does. Sheâs probably right that this
| difference will matter more to the average
| mass-market consumer than it does to me.
|
| The biggest surprise to me about the Nexus
| One is that Iâm missing the physical
| keyboard on the G-1 far less than I thought
| I would. I found the soft keyboard on the
| G-1 annoying and difficult to use, but
| something about the Nexus One version makes
| it significantly easier. This could be a
| consequence of the larger display size, or
| possibly the touch-recognition software has
| improved, or perhaps itâs both. The
| effectiveness of the Nexus Oneâs voice-to-
| text feature helps here.
|
| [..]
|
| Overall, however, the Nexus is indeed a
| clear improvement on the G-1. It points the
| way Android is going pretty unambiguously â
| towards head-to-head competition with the
| iPhone, rather than simply vacuuming up the
| market share of dumb phones and lesser
| competitors such as Symbian and Windows
| Mobile.
|
| In at least one respect â the voice-to-text
| capabilty â Android is already ahead of
| anything iPhone offers or is ever likely to
| be able to support. Thereâs a huge
| infrastructure of statistical pattern-
| matching engines in the Google-cloud behind
| it that Apple wonât be able to replicate
| easily, if at all.
`----

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=1961#more-1961

Watch Out iPhone, Android Use Is on the Rise

,----[ Quote ]
| Watch out Apple iPhone, Google's mobile
| operating system, Android continues to
| increase its popularity at a growth rate of
| 32 percent year over year, according to a
| recent report.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/195058/android_admob_report.html?tk=rss_news

Motorola Droid Still Leading the Android Pack

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report by mobile ad company AdMob
| measures the amount of ad traffic sent from
| different smartphones in March -- and the
| Droid's blinking red eye is going to be
| very pleased with what it found.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/195090/Motorola_Droid_Still_Leading_the_Android_Pack.html?tk=rss_news

Android Smartphones Gaining Ground on iPhones

,----[ Quote ]
| This is according to the latest research
| out of AdMob, a mobile advertising network
| in the process of being acquired by chief
| Android proponent Google. AdMob bases its
| stats on requests for access to the 18,000-
| plus Websites and applications in its
| network.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/195118/Android_iPhone.html?tk=rss_news

T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide: What You Need to Know

,----[ Quote ]
| Late last night, T-Mobile officially
| announced their next Android-powered
| handset, the myTouch 3G Slide. Is this just
| the next release in a line of Android smart
| phones or does it offer something new?
| Let's take a look at some of the features
| that help the myTouch 3G Slide stand out
| from T-Mobile's other offerings.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/04/tmobile-mytouch-3g-slide/

Adobe AIR and Flash Running âFlawlesslyâ on Prototype Android Tablet [VIDEO]

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/05/adobe-air-flash-running-flawlessly-prototype-android-tablet-video/

Android 2.2 to get full Flash support

,----[ Quote ]

`----