[News] Nokia Would Fight to Defend Linux From Microsoft's Extortion Racket

  • Subject: [News] Nokia Would Fight to Defend Linux From Microsoft's Extortion Racket
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 12:24:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nokia and Intel defensive on MeeGo Linux patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Ari Jaaksi, Nokia's vice president of MeeGo
| devices, told The Reg  Tuesday that Intel
| and Nokia could "guarantee and promise"
| that MeeGo is safe from any and all patent
| claims because of the size and breadth of
| the companies' patent portfolios, and also
| because of the size of Intel and Nokia
| themselves. MeeGo is based on the Linux
| kernel and uses common components such as
| X-Windows and Gstreamer.
|
| "Both Nokia and Intel have a huge patent
| portfolio and we have put our investment
| into the standard Linux-based platform.
| That's a guarantee and promise that it's
| safe for anyone to take this platform
| because we will look after your investment
| with our patent platform," Jaaksi said.
|
| "With the big patent portfolios already
| backing up MeeGo as an operating system,
| that should make some of the concerns go
| away... we'll defend that with our patent
| portfolio."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/04/meego_linux_mobile_android_microsoft/

Patent Standoff

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting news. While M$ runs amok
| threatening to sue the world over rumoured
| patent violations in GNU/Linux, Nokia and
| Intel are promising to protect customers
| from such suits.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/05/05/patent-standoff/

Patents, Patents, Everywhere...

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/05/patents-patents-everywhere.html

Patents, Patents, Everywhere...

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, just to make things more interesing,
| poor old HTC was accused by Microsoft of
| infringing on its patents â except in this
| case, HTC decided to settle, so we don't
| know exactly what those patents were.
| Here's what Microsoft said:
|
| Microsoft Corp. and HTC Corp. have signed a
| patent agreement that provides broad
| coverage under Microsoftâs patent portfolio
| for HTCâs mobile phones running the Android
| mobile platform. Under the terms of the
| agreement, Microsoft will receive royalties
| from HTC.
|
| Notice that it specifies âmobile phones
| running the Android mobile platformâ, which
| seems an indirect way of implying that HTC
| has paid for âproblemsâ with Linux, on
| which Android is based. Thus, a little more
| FUD can be spread about Linux's supposed
| infringement on Microsoft's monopolies,
| without actually making any real claim that
| needs supporting by facts.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2943

Recent: