[News] Ubuntu/Canonical Explains Position on H.264 (MPEG Cartel)

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu/Canonical Explains Position on H.264 (MPEG Cartel)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 12:22:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Canonical clarifies its H.264 licence

,----[ Quote ]
| When purchasing an OEM machine with Ubuntu
| pre-installed, there is currently no way to
| tell, without the manufacturer explicitly
| specifying them, which software and codecs
| are bundled with the machine. A device may
| be validated as Ubuntu Compatible, which
| means the OEM has tested the system and
| Canonical has verified the test, or as
| Ubuntu Certified, which means that
| Canonical have performed the testing.
| Kenyon points to the Ubuntu Certified list
| on the Canonical site, which lists systems
| from Lenovo, ASUSTek, HP, Toshiba, Samsung
| and Dell. Kenyon added "We have explored
| setting some minimum requirements for
| codecs, but this is not something that we
| presently do".
|
| So the rule of thumb is that an arbitrary
| Ubuntu system does not have a H.264 licence
| via Canonical, unless it's an OEM system
| which specifically lists the H.264 licence
| in its documentation or marketing
| materials.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Canonical-clarifies-its-H-264-licence-993182.html

Canonical explains Ubuntu unfree video choice

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/05/canonical_h264_video/

Is H.264 A Legal Minefield For Video Pros?

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/05/is-h-264-a-legal-minefield-for-video-pros/

Know Your Rights: H.264, patent licensing, and you

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/know-your-rights-h-264-patent-licensing-and-you/

H.264, patent licensing, and you (Engadget)

http://lwn.net/Articles/386355/

Recent:

Is H.264 a legal minefield for video pros?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're a digital-video professional--the
| sort of person who records weddings, sells
| stock footage, or edits B-roll--chances are
| good you deal with the H.264 video encoding
| technology. But after reading software
| license agreements, you might well wonder if
| you have rights to do so.
|
| A recent blog post by Harvard Ph.D. student
| Ben Schwartz, including the provocative
| phrase "Final Cut Pro Hobbyist," put the
| spotlight on license terms in Apple's video-
| editing software by questioning when
| professionals may use H.264 video. A similar
| "personal and non-commercial activity"
| license requirement appears in Adobe Systems'
| competing Premiere package, too.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000101-264.html

Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch Defends Flash, Warns HTML5 Will Throw The Web âBack
To The Dark Ages Of Videoâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobeâs Flash technology has been taking a
| beating lately. Apple still wonât support it
| on its upcoming iPad or its iPhone. Steve
| Jobs calls it buggy and crash-prone and
| dismisses Adobe as being lazy. Adobe is
| trying to fight the negative vibes emanating
| from Cupertino and elsewhere. It has already
| pointed out that it will be easy to convert
| Flash apps into iPad apps, and now CTO Kevin
| Lynch is weighing in to defend Flash.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/02/02/adobe-cto-kevin-lynch-defends-flash/

Oh, What a Lovely Standards War

,----[ Quote ]
| You know something big must be afoot when
| people start to get worked up over video
| compression standards. Basically, the issue
| is whether the current de facto standard,
| H.264, will continue to dominate this field,
| and if not, what might take over.
|
| [...]
|
| The key point here is that Mozilla's
| stubbornness on this issue has already
| made a difference â a financial difference
| in this case. It demonstrates that Mozilla
| was right to be stubborn, and shows why it
| is right to stand up for the Open Web
| wherever it may be threatened. Moreover,
| this provides yet another demonstration of
| the fact that you don't have to believe in
| free software's principles to benefit from
| its victories: you get them to share in them
| anyway.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2775

China (Hearts) Royalty-Free Standards?

,----[ Quote ]
| The royalty-free option is exactly what free
| software needs, and what patent holders have
| been fighting against so hard in the West
| (nominal fee is still problematic, though).
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/02/china-hearts-royalty-free-standards.html

MPEG LA Extends H.264 Royalty-Free Period

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/02/03/1528242/MPEG-LA-Extends-H264-Royalty-Free-Period

H.264 for Internet video to be royalty free till 2016

,----[ Quote ]
| The move will allow internet broadcasters,
| including YouTube and Vimeo, to continue
| providing H.264 encoded content.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/H-264-for-Internet-video-to-be-royalty-free-till-2016-921828.html

No, you canât do that with H.264

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of commercial software comes with
| H.264 encoders and decoders, and some
| computers arrive with this software
| preinstalled. This leads a lot of people to
| believe that they can legally view and
| create H.264 videos for whatever purpose
| they like. Unfortunately for them, it ainât
| so.
`----

http://bemasc.net/wordpress/2010/02/02/no-you-cant-do-that-with-h264/

W3C proposes hardware interface

,----[ Quote ]
| The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) draft
| for a "System Information API" specifies
| JavaScript functions for accessing the
| battery, CPU, sensors and other hardware
| characteristics of a device. For this
| purpose, the window.navigator object's
| SystemInfo interface has to implement the
| get, set and watch methods. set can only be
| applied to some screen properties such as
| brightness and orientation, while all other
| hardware properties are marked as readonly.
| watch is used for monitoring readings, for
| example those of a heat sensor.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/W3C-proposes-hardware-interface-921734.html

MPlayer Now Supports Most HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Codecs

,----[ Quote ]
| This news is coming a few days late
| (MPlayer's web-site lacks any RSS or
| syndication support), but the latest
| MPlayer code in their SVN trunk now
| supports most HD-DVD and Blu-ray codecs.
| Earlier this year we talked about possible
| Blu-ray support for FFmpeg and developers
| becoming more interested after we
| interviewed the FFmpeg developers and there
| ended up being an outpouring of support by
| our readers offering up Blu-ray drives and
| other forms of help.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcwMQ

FFmpeg Gains VDPAU MPEG-4 ASP Acceleration

,----[ Quote ]
| What we were in the process of writing
| about when we discovered MPlayer's support
| for most Blu-ray and HD-DVD codecs was that
| there is now support for MPEG-4 ASP
| decoding with VDPAU (NVIDIA's Video Decode
| and Presentation API for Unix) in the
| mainline FFmpeg tree.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcwMg

Theora Ahead of H.264 In Objective PSNR Quality

,----[ Quote ]
| Xiph hackers have been hard at work improving the Theora codec over the past
| year, with the latest versions gaining on and passing h.264 in objective PSNR
| quality measurements.
`----

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/07/2352203&art_pos=1

Open source video codec Ogg Theora hot on the heels of H.264

,----[ Quote ]
| For this reason, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and members of the Web
| Hypertext Application Technology Working Group (WhatWG) proposed the open
| source Ogg codecs Theora (video) and Vorbis (audio), developed by the Xiph
| Foundation, as the standard for the planned video and audio elements in
| the "W3C Editor's Draft" for HTML 5.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/137542

continued theora improvements

,----[ Quote ]
| Monty posted another update on the work thatâs been going on to improve the
| Theora encoder. Itâs worth re-posting here because I think that it includes
| some compelling images and graphs that show you improvements. So I would
| suggest that people wander over and have a look at his update.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=1300

The argument for Xiph codecs

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday I had a random technology developer email me with the question why
| he should use Ogg over other codecs that have a much more widespread uptake.
| Of course with âOggâ he meant âXiph codecsâ, since a comparison of container
| formats isnât really what people are asking for. He felt positive towards
| open codecs, but didnât really know how to express this with reason. So I
| wrote up some arguments that can be made for open codecs.
`----

http://blog.gingertech.net/2009/02/16/the-argument-for-xiph-codecs/

why open video?

,----[ Quote ]
| Thereâs one exception to this: video on the web.  Although videos are
| available on the web via sites like youtube, they donât share the same
| democratized characteristics that have made the web vibrant and distributed.
| And it shows.  That centralization has created some interesting problems that
| have symptoms like censorship via abuse of the DMCA and an
| overly-concentrated audience on a few sites that have the resources and
| technology to host video.  I believe that problems like the ones we see with
| youtube are a symptom of the larger problem of the lack of decentralization
| and competition in video technology - very different than where the rest of
| the web is today.
|
| In my mind there are two things that help drive that kind of
| decentralization:
|
|     * You should be able to easily understand how something moves from a
|     computer-readable format to something that is presented to a user.  For
|     example, turning HTML into a document, turning a JPEG file into a picture
|     on the screen or using HTTP to download a file.
|     * You must be able to implement and deliver that technology without
|     requiring anyoneâs permission or license.  In reality this means that it
|     should be available on a royalty-free basis and without encumbered
|     documentation.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=977

Mozilla champions Open Source Web video

,----[ Quote ]
| THE MOZILLA FOUNDATION is putting its significant clout and cash behind an
| initiative to create an open video format on the Web which would let users
| watch streaming video all over the Internet without having to use a plug-in.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/649/1050649/mozilla-champions-open-source-web-video

Mozilla Goes to Bat for Open-Source Video on the Web

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/mozilla-goes-to.html

Video

,----[ Quote ]
| The video element is used to embed video content in an HTML or XHTML
| document.  The video element was added as part of HTML 5.
`----

http://developer.mozilla.org/En/HTML/Element/Video

Firefox to Support Open Video Format in Next Release

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Blizzard reports from this weekâs Mozilla Summit: Firefox will natively
| support the Ogg Theora video format!
`----

http://internet.boredblogs.net/?p=2363

two cool things: ogg support in mozilla and canvas for IE

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=492

Theora Video Backend for Firefox Landed

,----[ Quote ]
`----