[News] Thoughts About Peppermint, Linux Mint 9 RC is Out

  • Subject: [News] Thoughts About Peppermint, Linux Mint 9 RC is Out
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 17:29:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Peppermint: Ask and they deliver

,----[ Quote ]
| To me, Linux is still largely about
| community, and my experiences with
| Peppermint and my interactions with the team
| of individuals responsible for putting it
| together have done nothing if not reinforce
| that.
`----

http://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2010/05/06/peppermint-ask-and-they-deliver/

Linux Mint 9 RC arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Mint development team have
| announced a release candidate for what will
| become Linux Mint version 9, code named
| "Isadora". Linux Mint aims to be user
| friendly and to provide a more complete out-
| of-the-box experience by including support
| for DVD playback, Java, plug-ins and various
| media codecs. It is also the third most
| popular distribution on DistroWatch.com
| behind Ubuntu and Fedora.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Linux-Mint-9-RC-arrives-993696.html

Recent:

Linux Mint 9 âIsadoraâ RC released!

,----[ Quote ]
| New features at a glance:
|
|     * New Software Manager
|           o 30,000 packages
|           o Review applications straight
|           from the Software Manager
|           o APT daemon
|           o Visual improvements
`----

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1386

A First Look at Linux Mint 9

,----[ Quote ]
| A couple of weeks ago, we talked a little
| about the upcoming artwork of Linux Mint 9
| (codename Isadora) and the plans Clement
| Lefebvre had for this next major version of
| the Linux Mint operating system. However,
| today, we are proud to present a few
| screenshots and introduce you guys to the
| main features of Linux Mint 9 (Isadora).
| First of all, you should know that Linux
| Mint 9 RC is a development release and it
| shouldn't be used on production machines.
| The final release may be available in a few
| weeks!
|
| [...]
|
| Linux Mint is and will always be an
| elegant, easy-to-use, up-to-date, 100% free
| and comfortable Linux operating system
| based on the very popular Ubuntu OS. It
| offers paid commercial support to companies
| and individuals. Also, free community
| support is available from the forums and
| the IRC channel.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-First-Look-at-Linux-Mint-9-141266.shtml

Mint 9 features new software manager, backup tool

,----[ Quote ]
| The other key improvement is a new Backup
| Tool, which offers features like
| incremental backups, compression, and
| integrity checks, says the Mint team. Users
| can now identify installed software, save
| the selection as a list, and then restore
| the selection on a different computer or on
| a new version of Linux Mint, says the team.

Peppermint OS: a review

,----[ Quote ]
| You get Peppermint OS, thatâs what! Brought
| to you by the same developer responsible
| for Linux Mint 8 LXDE Community Edition,
| and for resurrecting Linux Mint Fluxbox CE
| as well, Peppermint OS is a lightweight,
| fast, stable implementation of what Kendall
| Weaverâs vision of the perfect Linux distro
| might be for speed and the web.
|
| [...]
|
| Peppermint OS is among the first to try a
| lot of what itâs doing, and I think it does
| a great job of that. The sheer speed,
| respect for old hardware and minimal
| resources, and stability alone make it a
| standout, but the smooth way the Peppermint
| team (Iâm looking at you, Kendall!)
| implemented the webapps seamlessly with the
| other native client-side applications makes
| this distro feel like itâs something thatâs
| taken the next step toward a larger
| universe. That universe has the personal
| computer not being simply confined to
| running its code all by itself, but being
| embedded and a part of the web and the rest
| of the world as a whole.
|
| And thatâs something I find exciting.
|
| My feelings about using Peppermint are
| overwhelmingly positive. Itâs intuitive and
| user-friendly and I can honestly say that
| Iâm going to leave it on this laptop for a
| while and see how things go. So far Iâm
| very impressed, so I want to keep using it!
|
| Great job, Peppermint team! I look forward
| to whatâs coming next!
`----

http://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/peppermint-os-a-review/

Peppermint: A New Linux Flavor for the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| A new cloud-focused Linux flavor launched
| recently; known as Peppermint, the operating
| system has entered a small, private beta and
| will open up to more testers over the next two
| to four weeks.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Cloud-Computing/Peppermint-A-New-Linux-Flavor-for-the-Cloud-445371/

Peppermint: A New Linux OS for the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/peppermint_a_new_linux_os_for_the_cloud.php