[News] Ubuntu Judged as a Replacement for Mac OS X

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu Judged as a Replacement for Mac OS X
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 17:16:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Does Ubuntu Capture the âMac Vision And Spiritâ Better Than Mac OS X?

,----[ Quote ]
| A week ago, on April 29, Linux distro
| Canonical released Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid
| Lynx) in Desktop, Server and Netbook
| editions. It featured a new look that some
| rate more attractive and up-to-date than
| Snow Leopardâs. âLucid Lynxâsâ new graphics
| card drivers and other consumer-oriented
| innovations front a Linux-based operating
| system package containing all the essential
| productivity applications you need, all for
| free: a web browser, office suite, media
| apps, instant messaging and much more, and
| is being pitched as an open-source
| alternative to Windows and Office or Mac OS
| X and the iApps. Ubuntuâs core applications
| are all free and open source.
`----

http://theappleblog.com/2010/05/06/does-ubuntu-capture-the-mac-vision-and-spirit-better-than-mac-os-x/

Users want a Linux port of uTorrent?

,----[ Quote ]
| Its possibilities like this which I have
| always held as a reason why I donât want
| mass migration away from Windows to the
| Linux platform.  If Linux is to get a wave
| of disillusioned Windows users, we have to
| keep in mind that they will bring their
| demands (and their voting power) to a
| platform near you which has been going
| quite happily without Windows users turning
| up after finally working out that PC does
| not just mean Microsoft.  Now please donât
| get me wrong, I am happy that anyone would
| want to come to Linux after a Windows
| experience, but what these people need to
| remember is that Linux/FOSS is !=
| Windows/Microsoft, Linux should never be
| looked as the OS of choice only for it to
| still depend on 3rd party Windows apps.
| Linux and FOSS are unique (and for me)
| better in their own right, why should we
| lust over anything Windows offers either
| natively or via 3rd party apps?
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/05/08/users-want-a-linux-port-of-utorrent/

5 lessons for other Linux distros from the success of the Lucid Lynx

,----[ Quote ]
| 3.Try to become an answer
|
| Ubuntu Studio, Lubuntu, Edubuntu, Ubuntu
| server among others are part of what I call
| the Canonical suite which helps to gain
| more users in that it is able to meet more
| needs. Do not narrowly focus on being just
| an OS, try to be an answer to more
| specialized needs.
|
| 4.Clearly define the role of your community
|
| It is necessary to clearly define the role
| your user community will play in the growth
| and development of your OS. The faux pas
| that happened following the change of the
| window buttons from right to left in the
| Lucid Lynx could have had a devastating
| consequence had it been a smaller distro.
|
| 5.It does not hurt to apply marketing to
| Linux
|
| If there is any one Open Source company
| that does marketing right, it is Canonical.
| And as is clear now, it does not hurt at
| all to invest some time and if possible
| some money to marketing your distro, it
| really pays.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/05/5-lessons-for-other-linux-distros-from.html

Ubuntu Lucid almost shines

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/12280-Ubuntu-Lucid-almost-shines.html

Top 5 Changes You Should Make On A Fresh Lucid Install [Linux]

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-5-fresh-lucid-install/

Ubuntu One Music Store Starts on the Wrong Foot

http://www.itlure.com/2010/05/ubuntu-one-music-store-starts-on-wrong.html

Why you should use Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.4

http://ubuntudan.blogspot.com/2010/05/why-you-should-use-ubuntu-lucid-lynx.html

It's a good release overall. Microsoft is very worried about Canonical (see SEC filing).