[News] Examples of Businesses Making Millions From Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Examples of Businesses Making Millions From Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 18:06:11 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

BIRT Generates Over $45 Million Across 450 Paying Customers, Used by Over 750,000 Developers Worldwide

,----[ Quote ]
| BIRT is an Eclipse Foundation open source
| project that was founded by and continues
| to be co-led by Actuate. It is used by
| about 750,000 developers worldwide and has
| become the de facto open source environment
| for presenting compelling data
| visualisations on the web.
`----

http://www.sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=56033

How Do You Make a Pentaho?

,----[ Quote ]
| Daley told me that it has around 45,000
| âactiveâ members â that is, people that do
| something rather than just visit. The
| community also contributes to the overall
| project â mostly QA, but also bug-fixes.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2945

Recipe for a successful business: One part openness, two parts trust

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm reminded of an article Dana Blankenhorn
| wrote a few years back, where he noted that
| trust lies at âthe heart of open source.â
| Trust is what motivates software coders to
| open up their projects to communities of
| strangers. It drives a CIO to choose an
| open source vendor, who won't lock them
| into a particular technology or brand. And
| it is broken when a social networking (and
| advertising) business repeatedly strongarms
| its users into pushing their private
| information out to the world.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/4/recipe-successful-business-one-part-openness-two-parts-trust

Software freedom is not against business.

Recent:

Canonical announces an Ubuntu certification scheme

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical has announced that it will offer
| its own certification programme for Ubuntu
| 10.04 LTS and that graduates will be
| entitled to claim an 'Ubuntu Certified
| Professional' certification. Previously
| Canonical had worked with the Linux
| Professional Institute (LPI) to offer the
| Ubuntu Certified Professional exam which
| combined the general Linux LPI 101 and 102
| modules with the Ubuntu 199 module to
| provide an Ubuntu tailored qualification.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Canonical-announces-an-Ubuntu-certification-scheme-986735.html

Canonical to Offer Junior Admin Certification for Ubuntu 10.04

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ubuntu-user.com/Online/News/Canonical-to-Offer-Junior-Admin-Certification-for-Ubuntu-10.04