[News] [Rival] Microsoft Co-founder Accused of Mistreating Poor Children

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Co-founder Accused of Mistreating Poor Children
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 08:35:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why Does Bill Gates Mistreat Poor Children?

,----[ Quote ]
| Most people have the perception that The Bill
| and Melinda Gates Foundation is a worthy
| philanthropic organization and maybe it is in
| some ways, but not in education. I wish Bill
| Gates would choose another cause for his
| giving or at least change his approach to
| include and respect educators
`----

http://greatschoolsforamerica.org/wordpress/?p=97

A Bahia boarding school and the suffering of the head of the Gates Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| At first the idea of the head of the Gates
| Foundation answering questions from young
| people at a Bahia boarding school for farmers
| made the Gates Keepers nauseous. But we can
| learn a lot about the arrogance of the Gates
| Foundation from this Q and A. Here is a
| privileged rich white heterosexual American
| man who happened to be in the right place at
| the right time answering naive questions from
| 'others'. The worst thing that ever happened
| to Bill was a legal situation of his own
| making. He has little experience of suffering
| like most of the inhabitants of the planet.
| It is no wonder he is the way he is.
`----

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2010/5/6/4522235.html

Recent:

How Bill Gates Won the Race to the Top, and Why Every Parent Should Boycott Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Every so often we glimpse small stories
| stuck into the back pages of the corporate
| press on the continuing payouts by
| Microsoft for settlements to years-old
| State claims that Gates "had stifled
| competition and broken state antitrust laws
| by overcharging consumers for software and
| computers." California settled for $1.1
| billion, and this story last week shows
| more payouts continuing today, with
| Wisconsin figuring out how it will use $80
| million that Gates promised years ago while
| continuing to deny any wrongdoing.
|
| So bare-knuckled tactics are nothing new to
| the Gates team, as Bill's cadre of crooks
| continue to demonstrate in the big all-in
| bet to help Arne stifle any competition in
| the rigged RTTT, corporate ed reform's
| blueprint for the dismantling of public
| schools and the destruction of the teaching
| profession. Eerily, this is the same
| pattern of philanthro-capitalist bullying
| that Gates has used in other venues to
| restrict any diversity of views within the
| World Health Organization in the fight
| against malaria, as documented by Diane
| Ravitch in her new book:
|
| The chief of malaria research for the World
| Health Organization, Dr. Arata Kochi,
| complained in 2008 that the Gates
| Foundation was stifling a diversity of
| views among scientists, because so many of
| the world's leading scientist in the field
| were "locked up in a 'cartel' with their
| own research funding being linked to those
| of others within the group," making it
| difficult to get independent reviews of
| research. The foundation's decision-making
| process, he charged, was "a closed internal
| process, and as far as can be seen,
| accountable to none other than itself" (p.
| 204).
`----

http://www.substancenews.net/articles.php?page=1291&section=Article

Book review: 'The Death and Life of the Great American School System,' by Diane Ravitch

,----[ Quote ]
| The damage, she says, has been compounded
| by the well-meaning but ultimately
| misguided efforts of a new group of
| powerful private foundations, of which the
| Seattle-based Bill and Melinda Gates
| Foundation is the most prominent.
|
| "Never in the history of the United States
| was there a foundation as rich and powerful
| as the Gates Foundation," Ravitch writes.
| "Never was there one that sought to steer
| state and national policy in education. And
| never before was there a foundation that
| gave grants to almost every major think
| tank and advocacy group in the field of
| education, leaving almost no one willing to
| criticize its vast power and unchecked
| influence."
`----

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-bk_school_0425gd.ART.State.Bulldog.4d370b8.html

Updates to the Science Shelf plus a new review - edited with addition

,----[ Quote ]
| NCLB has not been the only factor
| undermining our schools, Ravitch writes. A
| new group of powerful private foundations,
| of which the Seattle-based Bill and Melinda
| Gates Foundation is the most prominent,
| have embraced education reform. The
| contributions of this "Billionaire Boys'
| Club" have also come with heavy doses of
| advocacy.
|
| "Never in the history of the United States
| was there a foundation as rich and powerful
| as the Gates Foundation," Ravitch writes.
| "Never was there one that sought to steer
| state and national policy in education. And
| never before was there a foundation that
| gave grants to almost every major think
| tank and advocacy group in the field of
| education, leaving almost no one willing to
| criticize its vast power and unchecked
| influence."
|
| To its credit, the Foundation has been
| diligent in analyzing the impact of its
| grant money. "In late 2008," Ravitch notes,
| "the Gates Foundation announced that it was
| changing course. Its $2 billion investment
| in new small high schools had not been
| especially successful."
`----

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/blog/2040-updates-science-shelf-plus-new-review-edited-addition.html

Diane Ravitch: Charter Schools Won't Save the School System

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/best-leaders/2010/04/19/diane-ravitch-charter-schools-wont-save-the-school-system.html

'The Death and Life of the Great American School System': An indictment
of standardized testing and school choice

,----[ Quote ]
| NCLB's damage has been compounded, Ravitch
| argues, by the well-meaning but ultimately
| misguided efforts of a new group of
| powerful private foundations, including the
| Seattle-based Bill & Melinda Gates
| Foundation. This "Billionaire Boys Club,"
| she writes, has overstepped traditional
| foundation boundaries.
|
| "... Never in the history of the United
| States was there a foundation as rich and
| powerful as the Gates Foundation. Never was
| there one that sought to steer state and
| national policy in education. And never
| before was there a foundation that gave
| grants to almost every major think tank and
| advocacy group in the field of education,
| leaving almost no one willing to criticize
| its vast power and unchecked influence."
|
| The author believes that though the Gates
| Foundation's intentions have been good, its
| size, resources and influence have dampened
| robust debate on education changes.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/books/2011607597_br18ravitch.html

1998 Bill Gates: I canât figure out why Jobs is even trying to be Apple CEO; he knows he canât win

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/24748/

98 Bill Gates On Steve Jobs: He Knows He Cant Win

http://beforeitsnews.com/news/32396/98_Bill_Gates_On_Steve_Jobs:_He_Knows_He_Can_t_Win.html

Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates ranks as one of the wealthiest
| and most influential people in history, yet
| he's equally controversial. Is he an
| example of the American dream, a cutthroat
| businessman who has redeemed himself
| through philanthropy or a career criminal?
| This article presents a basic biography,
| then adds opinions, theories and logic in
| an effort to promote discussion and
| discover the truth.
`----

http://knol.google.com/k/david-blomstrom/bill-gates/1i6e04re3w2kp/4#

Neo-liberalism: The Leveraging of Charter Schools with Public and Private Funds

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://dissidentvoice.org/2009/11/neo-liberalism-the-leveraging-of-charter-schools-with-public-and-private-funds/