[News] [Rival] Microsoft Co-founder Gates is Bringing Monsanto Monopoly/Experiment to India, Spreads Misleading 'Research'

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Co-founder Gates is Bringing Monsanto Monopoly/Experiment to India, Spreads Misleading 'Research'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 08:36:44 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Re-Booting DDT

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is
| fascinating. So is the 19-page annual
| letter that describes the work of the Bill
| and Melinda Gates Foundation, the worldâs
| largest philanthropy. But for someone as
| smart as Gates, who can afford to hire
| experts on any subject under the sun, some
| of his foundationâs strategies are
| baffling.
|
| Consider his foundationâs approach to
| malaria, which focuses on bed nets, a low-
| tech, only modestly effective intervention,
| and on the development of a vaccine, a
| high-tech solution that has eluded
| intensive efforts for decades. This
| approach dismisses an old, cheap, and safe
| way to control the vector â the Anopheles
| mosquito â that spreads the disease: the
| chemical DDT.
|
| [...]
|
| Moreover, even if mosquitoes become
| resistant to the killing effects of DDT,
| they are still repelled by it. An
| occasional dusting of window frames and
| doorframes is extremely effective. Bill
| Gatesâs experts seem not to know that; the
| foundationâs annual letter contains the
| following single mention of DDT: âThe world
| hoped in the 1950s and 1960s that [malaria]
| could be eliminated by killing mosquitoes
| with DDT, but that tactic failed when the
| mosquitoes evolved to be resistant to the
| chemical.â
|
| [...]
|
| But policies based on science and data have
| a short half-life at the UN. With a notable
| absence of fanfare, in May 2009 the WHO,
| together with the UN Environment Program,
| reverted to endorsing less effective
| methods for preventing malaria, announcing
| that their goal is âto achieve a 30% cut in
| the application of DDT worldwide by 2014
| and its total phase-out by the early 2020s,
| if not sooner.â In the absence of effective
| vaccines or new anti-malarial drugs â and
| the funding and infrastructure to deliver
| them â this decision is tantamount to mass
| murder, a triumph of radical environmental
| politics over public health.
|
| How can we drain the public-policy swamp?
`----

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/miller7/English

In the fight against malaria and other insect-borne diseases, DDT is still our most effective weapon

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2010/05/09/2003472536

Researchers to improve crop nutrition value

,----[ Quote ]
| Research to improve sorghumâs nutritional
| levels through genetic engineering is under
| way.
`----

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Researchers%20to%20improve%20crop%20nutrition%20value%20/-/1056/907348/-/12nn1y9/-/

Partner our Nutrition Mission, BSY tells Gates

http://www.todaynews.in/city/bangalore/partner-our-nutrition-mission-bsy-tells-gates-69003.html

Yeddyurappa request Bill Gates to become partner in Nutrition Mission

http://mangalorean.com/news.php?newstype=broadcast&broadcastid=178473

GMO monopolies.

Recent:

US Senate, Bill Gates Give the Planet a Middle Finger for Earth Day

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the Senate Foreign Relations committee
| held a hearing on the Global Food Security Act
| (S.384), which, as I have documented on this
| blog before, Monsanto HAS been involved in
| lobbying on. The bill first came to my
| attention about a year ago, when the same
| committee held a very similar hearing about
| the same bill. In the year since then, I've
| become increasingly knowledgeable and outraged
| about the issues surrounding global food
| security. In the meantime, the Obama
| Administration took the lead on the issue of
| global food security from the Senate, and
| USAID is doing quite a bit already (in
| partnership with the World Bank and private
| organizations and companies) to really f*ck
| things up worldwide.
`----

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_20674.cfm

Gates Official Comes Under Investigation by Senate Committee

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://philanthropy.com/blogPost/Gates-Official-Comes-Under/21393/?sid=&utm_source=&utm_medium=en