[News] Sub-notebooks With Linux Costing Just $100

  • Subject: [News] Sub-notebooks With Linux Costing Just $100
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 01:14:05 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

$100 netbook switches to Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Cherrypal announced its first two netbooks
| to run Android. The Cherrypal Asia is
| available in seven-inch ($99) and 10.1-inch
| ($148) models, both of which run Android
| 1.6 on an ARM9-based Via VT 8505 processor
| clocked at 533MHz, and offer 256MB of RAM,
| 2GB of flash storage, Ethernet, WiFi, and
| USB connectivity, says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Cherrypal-Asia/?kc=rss

World's first $99 laptop goes Android, Cherrypal drops Linux in favor of Android for sub-100-dollar laptops

http://www.pr-inside.com/world-s-first-99-laptop-goes-android-cherrypal-dro-r1884593.htm

Vodacom unveils low-cost Linux netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Cellphone group Vodacom is making a play
| into the netbook market. On Tuesday, it
| unveiled a low-cost compact computer, the
| Linkbook, that it says is designed
| specifically to provide users, especially
| first-time computer buyers, with âsimple
| and affordable Internet accessâ.
|
| [...]
|
| The Linkbook supports Wi-Fi. It has 16GB of
| flash memory (no hard drive), an 8,9-inch
| TFT display and a Motorola-derivative
| processor.
`----

http://www.techcentral.co.za/vodacom-unveils-low-cost-linux-netbook/14287/

Recent:

The $99 Cherrypal laptop - it runs Linux and you can buy
it RIGHT NOW (but is it for real, and are these actually
being shipped to those who order them?)

,----[ Quote ]
| The way the company both hits the $99 price
| point and makes a little profit at the same
| time is to a) ship with free, open-source
| Linux and b) offer minimum specs but actually
| build the laptops with whatever the cheapest
| components are at any given time.
`----

http://insidesocal.com/click/2010/01/the-99-cherrypal-laptop---it-r.html

Make your Linux netbook battery last longer

,----[ Quote ]
| All laptop users have something in common: we
| want our device's batteries to last longer.
| Whether it's for the daily commute or a long
| flight, an extra 30 minutes of power means an
| extra 30 minutes of entertainment.
|
| If you're running a Linux-based distribution
| on your netbook, there's a lot you can do to
| squeeze every last negatively charged ion
| from your power source. Here we're going to
| cover the best techniques that we've
| discovered.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/make-your-linux-netbook-battery-last-longer-661874

NorhTec Gecko Surfboard: $99 Linux PC in a keyboard

,----[ Quote ]
| The oft-delayed ASUS Eee Keyboard is a great
| concept â squeezing everything from a nettop
| into a QWERTY form-factor â but what if your
| computing ambitions are even more moderate?
| NorhTec reckon they have the product for you
| in the shape of the Gecko Surfboard,
| outwardly a regular QWERTY keyboard but
| actually packed with a 1GHz x86 system-on-
| chip (SoC), VGA and composite video outputs,
| 10/100 ethernet and optional WiFi b/g or even
| 3G.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/norhtec-gecko-surfboard-99-linux-pc-in-a-keyboard-1766281/

Dell intros new low-cost ultrathin, Vostro V13

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techspot.com/news/37253-Dell-intros-new-lowcost-ultrathin-Vostro-V13.html