[News] Consumer Reports 'Forgets' to Mention GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Consumer Reports 'Forgets' to Mention GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:08 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Hey, Consumer Reports!

,----[ Quote ]
| I agree. My folks get Consumer Reports,
| and the magazine is quite good about
| finding tech-savvy people to evaluate tech
| products, and then to distill that
| knowledge down to advice non-tech people
| can use to make buying decisions. (As in
| their reviews of antivirus software.) But
| not to even mention the Linux option is an
| implicit endorsement of one of most
| monopolistic, most consumer-abusive
| megacorporations on the planet. Would they
| print their annual automobile issue with
| only reviews of GM cars?
|
| It seems to me that Consumer Reports would
| be just the outfit to do a comparative
| review of the top dozen Linux distros,
| from the standpoint of an everyday (non-
| techie) computer user. But probably this
| is too much of a "niche" market for them.
| Or could it be that they don't know how to
| critique products that are given away for
| free?
`----

http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.578.4

Recent:

Microsoft Facing Â25m Argentinian Linux Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| âAbout five years ago, I wrote a detailed
| report on how one could have the choice
| between GNU/Linux and other operating
| systems in Argentina that was most
| surprising for French people, that have
| always had the greatest difficulties in
| getting such a choice,â Di Cosmo wrote.
| âBut starting from 2 years ago, I have seen
| that it has become impossible to find any
| longer a single machine with GNU / Linux in
| retail: worse, we saw some very dubious
| agreements negotiated under the high
| patronage of the founder of the
| multinational software company that
| monopolises the operating systems market.â
|
| Di Cosmoâs blog contains a link to the
| Pixart court filing and alleges that the
| allegations against Microsoft made by
| Pixart may have been repeated in other
| countries. âWell, I happen to have in my
| hands right now a copy of the appeal filed
| against Microsoft by the little Argentine
| SMEs Pixart, and it is very helpful in
| understanding what really happened there â
| and very likely what is happening here [In
| France] too,â he says.
|
| If the Argentinian Commission decides to
| hear the case, and finds against Microsoft,
| the software giant has the right to one
| appeal according to Blustein. âMicrosoft
| can appeal the decision one level further,
| in case they are unhappy with the first
| judgement.â
`----

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/microsoft-facing-25m-argentinian-desktop-linux-law-suit-6034

Microsoft under fire in Argentina: it faces a fine of more than 50 million euros for anticompetitive activities

,----[ Quote ]
| But starting from 2 years ago, I have seen
| that it has become impossible to find any
| longer a single machine with GNU / Linux in
| retail: worse, we saw some very dubious
| agreements negotiated under the high
| patronage of the founder of the
| multinational software company that
| monopolises the operating systems market.
|
| One may well ask why: this is not without
| reminding us of the situation here in
| France, where after SFR placed on the
| market more thatn 250000 Netbooks all
| equipped with GNU / Linux about two years
| ago, we can not find now a single netbook
| without Windows (yes, I write the name in
| full letters now, because I am particularly
| upset: I wanted to buy one for personal use
| this Christmas, but despite my efforts, I
| have not found a single model with a GNU /
| Linux preinstalled in France).
|
| The few remaining fans of software
| monopolies like to say that this sudden
| vanishement proves that the other operating
| system is superior to GNU / Linux.
|
| Well, I happen to have in my hands right
| now a copy of the appeal filed against
| Microsoft by the little Argentine SMEs
| Pixart, and it is very helpful in
| understanding what really happened there
| ... and very likely what is happening here
| too.
|
| [...]
|
| But this time there is a difference: if
| Microsoft was convicted in Argentina, my
| legal contacts there tell me it would risk
| a fine of approximately 300,000,000 pesos,
| which, at the current exchange rate, would
| amount to more than 55 million euros.
|
| Corruption is rife there: an official, a
| lawyer or a witness might be tempted to
| pocket a tidy little sum for losing a piece
| of evidence, let a legal deadline slip
| trhough, change the judge, or any other
| action that contributes to bury the trial
| before the interesting pieces of evidence
| are exposed to the light.
|
| But I hope that this time, no civil
| servant, no politician in Argentina will
| accept to earn a few pennies to help the
| software juggernaut deprive his country of
| 55 million euros, crush a small Argentinian
| company struggling to maintain local
| industrial capacity in Free Software, and
| imprison again the country behind the bars
| of a Windows prison.
`----

http://www.dicosmo.org/MyOpinions/index.php/2010/03/19/98-microsoft-under-fire-in-argentina-it-faces-a-fine-of-more-than-50-million-euros-for-anticompetitive-activities

Latin America leads in school laptops