[News] Why Competition Inside GNU/Linux Inspires and Improves Quality

  • Subject: [News] Why Competition Inside GNU/Linux Inspires and Improves Quality
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:09:39 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Opinion: Competition vs cohesion

,----[ Quote ]
| I want competition amongst my desktop
| apps. I want Firefox and Chrome developers
| battling each other to make their browsers
| better. I want AbiWord to push forward
| with a fast and light word processor,
| making the OpenOffice.org folks realise
| that they have to do something about the
| bloat. I want a choice of music players,
| text editors, and why not, even
| calculators. This competition makes the
| Linux desktop better for everybody.
`----

http://tuxradar.com/content/opinion-competition-vs-cohesion

What Do You Use?

,----[ Quote ]
| It has become rather apparent that people
| are desiring the ability to run software
| designed for Windows or OSX on Linux. This
| is double-edged sword. This will of course
| give Linux an even more expanded library
| of applications, and applications with
| which people are familiar. The other side
| of this is that it does not give
| developers a reason to write native
| software for Linux. If we continue on the
| road toward Windows or OSX compatibility,
| will it help or hurt Linux?
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2010/05/what-do-you-use.html

Recent:

All Hail Our Benevolent Corporate Overlords

,----[ Quote ]
| After reading Electronics Manufacturers Use US
| Legal System to Thwart Hardware 'Hacks' I was
| all set to type a fiery response, but Linux
| Today readers beat me to it. In a nutshell,
| the tech industry is accelerating its attacks
| on our rights to do what we want with our own
| property.
|
| The article is full of revealing quotes from
| industry apologists, who all display an
| astonishing un-awareness of how asinine they
| sound. It was hard picking a winner, but I
| give the prize to Leander Kahney, author and
| editor, who says this is why Apple is so bent
| on micromanaging what its customers do with
| their own property:
|
|     "Apple is selling directly to consumers,
|     who aren't the best guardians of their own
|     self-interest. The open PC model works for
|     knowledgeable users who know what they are
|     doing and how to protect themselves, but
|     not so for 15-year-old fashionistas and
|     techno-phobic geriatrics," Kahney said. "A
|     measure of lockdown is exactly why Apple
|     is successful - it hides complexity while
|     ensuring a certain level of reliability
|     and stability. The vast majority of
|     Apple's customers are utterly unconcerned
|     - they could give two hoots that they
|     can't hack their devices."
|
| Isn't that special. The nice people at Apple
| are making sure that dumb kids and senile old
| people, and all the rest of us don't hurt
| ourselves, because we're too stupid to make
| our own decisions. Last time I was in Home
| Depot I saw high-powered welding machines,
| bandsaws, nailguns, great big heavy pieces of
| lumber, bottles of sulfuric acid and muriatic
| acid, pesticides, and many other scary
| dangerous products that anyone could buy.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2010/03/the-us-slips-fu.html

Windows: Choice But No Choice

,----[ Quote ]