[News] Review of GNU/Linux Distributions for Netbooks; Canonical/Ubuntu Does It Its Own Way

  • Subject: [News] Review of GNU/Linux Distributions for Netbooks; Canonical/Ubuntu Does It Its Own Way
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:41:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Five Best Linux Netbook OSes - for Now

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux runs particularly well on Netbooks,
| but it might be hard to choose which
| flavor is best for your right now. Not
| sure what's out there? We've lined up the
| five best Linux netbook OSes for your
| mobile computing pleasure.
|
| What makes a distro one of the best
| choices for netbooks? It has to be easy to
| install, support netbook hardware
| relatively well, and should offer an
| interface that's well-suited for netbooks.
| Not every distro will support all hardware
| out of the box, but some distros are
| better than others at handling a wide
| range of hardware. Also, it has to be free
| to download and easy to get.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/netbooks/308465:five-best-linux-netbook-oses-for-now

Ubuntu Light Shuts Out Future Ubuntu Moblin/MeeGo Remixes

,----[ Quote ]
| When Canonical announced its Ubuntu Light
| platform for netbooks and platforms Monday
| morning, a lot of fuss was made about the
| new Unity interface, the capability of
| Ubuntu Light to act as an instant-on
| environment for users of these devices who
| just want to surf, and the general
| coolness of the plan.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/107512/ubuntu-light-shuts-out-future-ubuntu-moblinmeego-remixes

Recent:

The $99 Cherrypal laptop - it runs Linux and you can buy
it RIGHT NOW (but is it for real, and are these actually
being shipped to those who order them?)

,----[ Quote ]
| The way the company both hits the $99 price
| point and makes a little profit at the same
| time is to a) ship with free, open-source
| Linux and b) offer minimum specs but actually
| build the laptops with whatever the cheapest
| components are at any given time.
`----

http://insidesocal.com/click/2010/01/the-99-cherrypal-laptop---it-r.html

Make your Linux netbook battery last longer

,----[ Quote ]
| All laptop users have something in common: we
| want our device's batteries to last longer.
| Whether it's for the daily commute or a long
| flight, an extra 30 minutes of power means an
| extra 30 minutes of entertainment.
|
| If you're running a Linux-based distribution
| on your netbook, there's a lot you can do to
| squeeze every last negatively charged ion
| from your power source. Here we're going to
| cover the best techniques that we've
| discovered.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/make-your-linux-netbook-battery-last-longer-661874

NorhTec Gecko Surfboard: $99 Linux PC in a keyboard

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/norhtec-gecko-surfboard-99-linux-pc-in-a-keyboard-1766281/