[News] ACTA Totally Secret Again; Digital Economy Bill Could Still be Repealed

  • Subject: [News] ACTA Totally Secret Again; Digital Economy Bill Could Still be Repealed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 18:42:04 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

ACTA Draft Release Was Apparently A One Time Deal: Now We're Back To Secrecy

,----[ Quote ]
| After about a year or so of very public
| questions over the incredible level of
| secrecy of ACTA (including the patently
| ridiculous claim that details couldn't be
| revealed for national security reasons),
| including a complete smackdown by the EU
| Parliament concerning the whole ACTA
| process, the negotiators finally (and very
| reluctantly) released the latest draft in
| April. Of course, by then, the full
| document had already leaked. Still, the
| officially released document left out some
| of the key parts that were in the leaked
| draft. Funny how that works.

Will Nick Clegg push to repeal the Digital Economy Act?

,----[ Quote ]
| For ORG supporters, there is a lot that we
| can hope for from the new administration.
|
|     * We can hopefully assume that talk of
|     a repeal of the Human Rights Act is
|     now shelved.
|     * ID cards and their database should be
|     scrapped
|     * The DNA database should be restricted
|     or scrapped
|     * Promises of a Data Freedom Act are
|     welcome
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/will-nick-clegg-push-to-repeal-the-digital-economy-act

Recent:

EC's ACTA Negotiator Devigne: Rejected U.S. "Blackmail"

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5029/125/