[News] Nokia Uses Linux Along With Intel to Compete With Google, Apple, ARM

  • Subject: [News] Nokia Uses Linux Along With Intel to Compete With Google, Apple, ARM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 22:34:17 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What does Nokia need to do to become relevant again?

,----[ Quote ]
| 3) Ditch Symbian for smartphones: Nokia
| claims that Symbian âdemocratises the
| smartphone marketâ. Theyâre saying that open
| source programmes make their phones more
| customisable and more relevant to a larger
| audience than, say, an iPhone. But Android is
| already by some measures outselling the Apple
| iPhone, itâs already open source and itâs
| already very good, when HTC design with it at
| least. Symbian 4 is, by virtue of its arrival
| later this year, surely not able to be a
| patch on Android 1.6, never mind the newer
| 2.1, and equally poor in comparison to iPhone
| OS3. Whatâs the point in backing the Symbian
| horse? Insiders say forthcoming OS Meego will
| be great. Itâs too little, too late, when
| Android is already streaks ahead and Windows
| Phone 7 Series is on the way. (Iâd love, by
| the way, to be proved wrong, but âthe open
| source OSâ Symbian 4 is currently a secret â
| you can take a look here at Mashable,
| however.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/nokia/7716142/What-does-Nokia-need-to-do-to-become-relevant-again.html

Intel gives first look at MeeGo interface

,----[ Quote ]
| MeeGo has been given its first proper outing
| at Intel's Developer Forum in Beijing.
|
| While Nokia and Intel announced the merger of
| Moblin and Maemo back at Mobile World
| Congress in February, there were no demos at
| the event and only minimal details.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/intel-gives-first-look-at-meego-interface-683693

Workshops tackle Qt, Linux, and i.MX development

,----[ Quote ]
| Future Electronics and Nokia will host six
| full-day, hands-on workshops across the North
| America on using Linux and Nokia's Qt
| development framework to develop user
| interfaces (UIs) for Freescale's ARM-based
| i.MX system-on-chips (SoCs). Starting in
| Boston on May 18, the workshops will use the
| Freescale i.MX23 SoC as its sample platform.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Future-Electronics-and-Nokia-Qt-on-iMX-workshops/?kc=rss

The Qt Virtual Framebuffer

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/qt-virtual-framebuffer