[News] Over 2,000,000 New Linux-based Android Phones Per Month (and Lots More News and Success Stories)

  • Subject: [News] Over 2,000,000 New Linux-based Android Phones Per Month (and Lots More News and Success Stories)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 22:51:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

65,000 Android phones shipping every day: Google

,----[ Quote ]
| At least 65,000 mobile phones powered by
| Google's Android operating system are being
| shipped every day, Google chief executive
| Eric Schmidt said Thursday.
`----

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jtZT_1rdNJFpfU_fwWMiugrx8JMw

Android â My âmust haveâ applications.

,----[ Quote ]
| Ive been a happy user of Android for a while
| now and thought it would be interesting to
| look at my choice of âmust haveâ apps for the
| OS and importantly ALL THESE APPLICATIONS ARE
| FREE!
|
| I am hoping this will stimulate a little
| debate and also I get a few suggestions for
| things to try.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/android-my-must-have-applications/

Introducing DejaOffice for Android-Powered Devices

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/introducing-dejaoffice-for-android-powered-devices,1300525.shtml

Android is for real

,----[ Quote ]
| As for Android, even if it was helped along
| by Apple-like advertising campaigns and two-
| for-one offers, the Linux-based, Apache-
| licensed mobile OS has undoubtedly made the
| biggest strides in the modern smartphone
| market weâve seen since iPhone. I recall
| immense skepticism when we indicated in our
| CAOS report Mobility Matters way back in
| November 2008 that the first Android phone on
| the market, the G1, represented an impressive
| first step and a sign of fast, carrier-
| supported development and advancement thanks
| in large part to open source. Regardless of
| how significant its device maker and carrier
| support, including two for one deals, Android
| has done better than expected in the market.
| It certainly marks the furthest a mobile OS
| based on Linux has ever gone.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/05/14/android-is-for-real/

Michael Dell Confirms Streak 5 for AT&T This Summer

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Dell, CEO,  took to the stage
| yesterday for a keynote speech at the Citrix
| Synergy conference where he promptly teased
| the crowd with a demo of the Streak 5 tablet
| phone. The 5-inch device features a 5-
| megapixel camera, a 800X480 touch display
| with 5 inches viewable screen, and a
| customized build of Android.  We aren't sure
| what version of Android the Streak 5 will
| have.  Our first glimpse of the device had
| 1.6 on it but enough time has passed to get
| 2.1 loaded.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/14/michael-dell-confirms-streak-5-att-summer/

NTT DoCoMoâs Best Selling Smart Phone Ever is Probably Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

,----[ Quote ]
| We've given the Sony Ericsson Xperia a rough
| go at things here on the site and on some of
| our podcasts.  To sum things up we'd have to
| say we're disappointed all around.  We wish
| it was more responsive in their Mediascape
| and Timescape apps, we wish it had something
| newer than Android 1.6, we wish it would hit
| the US at some point, etc... Just a general
| sense of letdown.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/14/ntt-docomos-selling-smart-phone-sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/

DROID Does More Commercials

,----[ Quote ]
| Droid Does Augmented reality!  Well,
| technically most Android devices can âdoâ
| augmented reality.  However, none of the
| other carriers and/or manufacturers are
| promoting the sheer amount and variety of
| Android apps that are available.  Even if you
| think the videos are too industrial or crass,
| you have to admit that Verizon is helping to
| gain visibility for our little, green buddy.
`----

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog/2010/05/droid-does-more-commercials/

Android Rips Up Google to Reveal a Nexus One Easter Egg

,----[ Quote ]
| Google sure does love its easter eggs, and
| here in the UK Android fans are treated to a
| very special sight when "meet Android" is
| typed and "I'm feeling lucky" hit.

`----

http://gizmodo.com/5539060/android-rips-up-google-to-reveal-a-nexus-one-easter-egg

How Android Phones Became a Hit

,----[ Quote ]
| So how did this all come together so quickly?
| Looking back over the past three years, it
| seems that Google had a very simple but
| effective plan to push its way into a crowded
| market. Using a combination of free software,
| design simplicity and brand clout, Google has
| succeeded in making an operating system that,
| in just a couple of years, has grown to rival
| the most popular mobile platforms in the
| business.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196391/how_android_phones_became_a_hit.html?tk=rss_news

Nvidia comfirms commitment to Android

,----[ Quote ]
| IN A CONFERENCE CALL about Nvidia's first
| quarter financial results, the Green Goblin's
| CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang said that his plans for a
| next-gen Tegra include the use of Android.
|
| With every man and his dog seemingly wanting
| a smartphone, Nvidia is looking to get a
| slice of the market, and it sees Tegra as the
| way to get its foot in the door.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1648653/nvidia-comfirms-commitment-android

Android Gains With Small Phone Makers in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's Android is picking up steam in China
| among both big and small mobile phone makers,
| and the operating system is set to move even
| further down the price chain in coming
| months.
|
| Small Chinese companies in the southern city
| of Shenzhen, which is notorious for its
| bustling markets full of knock-off
| electronics, are increasingly putting the
| Google OS in phones.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/195825/android_gains_with_small_phone_makers_in_china.html?tk=rss_news

Square Motorola Flipout: MotoBlur + Android 2.1 = $699

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gadgetsdna.com/square-motorola-flipout-motoblur-android-2-1-699/3010/