[News] Verizon, Archos, Dell, and HP Tablets Run Linux

  • Subject: [News] Verizon, Archos, Dell, and HP Tablets Run Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 22:58:02 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Verizon: We're making a tablet with Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Google released a statement: "Android is a
| free, open source mobile platform. This means
| that anyone can take the Android platform and
| add code or download it to create a mobile
| device without restrictions. The Android
| smartphone platform was designed from the
| beginning to scale downward to feature phones
| and upward to MID and netbook-style devices.
| We look forward to seeing what contributions
| are made and how an open platform spurs
| innovation, but we have nothing to announce
| at this time."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20004731-265.html

Archos 8 tablet will land in the UK soon

,----[ Quote ]
| FOR COLLECTORS OF TABLETS, the Android
| powered Archos 8 will be available in the UK
| in the second half of this year, not long
| after the June release of its sibling Archos
| 7, which also uses the Google OS.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1635463/archos-tablet-land-uk-soon

BT shows a smartphone tablet prototype

,----[ Quote ]
| UK TELECOM GIANT BT has unveiled the
| prototype of a "smartphone for the home".
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1648659/bt-smartphone-tablet-prototype

HP's webOS tablet 'due in Q3'

,----[ Quote ]
| HP will release a tablet based on Palm's
| webOS in the third quarter, according to a
| report citing an "HP insider."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/10/hp_webos_tablet_rumor/

IPad tablet's popularity has rivals scrambling to roll out competing devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the company declined to comment on
| that report, HP Executive Vice President
| Shane Robison told the San Jose Mercury News
| recently that HP may "at some point" build a
| Slate that runs on webOS.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tablets-20100513,0,1958959.story

HP WebOS Tablet In Q3, Report Says

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/handheld/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224701316

HP's WebOS-based Hurricane tablet coming, report says

,----[ Quote ]
| Hurricane, would be released by late summer
| or early fall, an anonymous source inside HP
| reportedly told Examiner.com. There's no word
| on pricing or specs for the new device.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/345992/hp_webos-based_hurricane_tablet_coming_report_says?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

HP Reportedly Working on Tablet Using Palm's webOS

http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Reoprt--HP-Working-on-webOS-Tablet-/story.xhtml?story_id=022002HW80ZY&full_skip=1

HP's WebOS-based Hurricane Tablet Coming, Report Says

http://www.pcworld.com/article/195940/hps_webos_based_hurricane_tablet_coming_report_says.html?tk=rss_news

Michael Dell whips out his Streak tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| The 5-inch device features a  800X480 touch
| display, along with a customized version of
| Googleâs Android OS.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-features/49774-michael-dell-whips-out-his-streak-tablet

Tablet Tea Party iPad, HP, Google, MicrosoftâRIM?!!

http://wccftech.com/2010/05/14/tablet-tea-party-ipad-hp-google-microsoftrim/

Recent:

Dellâs slate roadmap revealed: Android, MeeGo, smartbooks and more...

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://apcmag.com//dells-slate-roadmap-revealed-android-meego-smartbooks-and-more.htm