[News] Storage and Networking Now With Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Storage and Networking Now With Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 23:00:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Buffalo Technology embraces opensource firmware

,----[ Quote ]
| Buffalo Technology which makes good WiFi
| routers has decided to use open source
| firmware. Instead of their own firmware, they
| are going to be using DD-WRT instead.
`----

http://cityblogger.com/archives/2010/05/13/buffalo-technology-embraces-opensource-firmware

Open Source Deduplication: Ready for Enterprises?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now we're seeing the next evolution in data
| deduplication technology, open source
| deduplication, with several established open
| source storage vendors (Bacula, Nexenta,
| Sun/Oracle and Zmanda), as well as some new
| players like Opendedup, challenging proprietary
| solutions and literally giving away the
| technology.
`----

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/continuity/features/article.php/3882106

Recent:

DD-WRT to power Buffalo Wi-Fi routers

,----[ Quote ]
| Buffalo Technology has announced that it will
| be using the free DD-WRT Linux-based
| alternative open source firmware in several of
| its upcoming consumer and small business
| wireless routers, including the WZR-HP-G300NH,
| WHR-HP-G300N and WHR-HP-GN. Discussing the new
| partnership, Ralph Spagnola, vice president of
| sales at Buffalo Technology, said that he
| considers the move to be a "natural evolution,"
| adding that, âWith DD-WRT, we now deliver
| professional grade solutions at entry-level
| pricesâ.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/DD-WRT-to-power-Buffalo-Wi-Fi-routers-951998.html

Open Source Routers Are Worth Considering

,----[ Quote ]
| When you buy a computer today, you choose
| between the consumer-friendly platforms of
| Windows or Mac. Alternatives such as Linux are
| completely ignored.
|
| The kernel of the Linux operating system is
| "open source," meaning that no company owns or
| controls it completely. Commercial software
| packages are built around the Linux kernel
| (such as Red Hat), but the core platform
| remains free for anyone to revise, modify, and
| authenticate.
|
| Many folks are leery of open source software
| because society is programmed to embrace
| products from companies like Microsoft and
| Apple. Linux is universally celebrated for its
| rock-solid performance and stability, but it
| requires a little more effort to find layman-
| like support and help.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/lawtechnologynews/PubArticleLTN.jsp?id=1202443092669&Open_Source_Routers_Are_Worth_Considering

GNU/Linux: Replacing a Dead Router with a Linux System

,----[ Quote ]
| Enter an old Dell Dimension XPS R400 PC that has
| been gathering dust in the closet. It has an
| 80GB Western Digital IDE drive, a Startech
| 10/100 NIC and 192MB of RAM in it. I received
| this old PC from a client that bought a new,
| custom built system from my company in October
| 2007. He no longer needed the Dell and was just
| going to trash it. Instead I convinced him to
| let me wipe the drive, install Mandriva 2008 on
| it and try to sell it on eBay. It did not sell
| when I listed it. The client did not want it
| back, so I just stuck it in the IT junk closet
| with several other old systems and flaky
| monitors. I decided to make this old Dell PC
| into my ânewâ router. Since it already has
| Mandriva 2008 on it I figured I could use that
| to get routing going and then upgrade the
| Mandriva later.
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2010/01/23/gnulinux-replacing-a-dead-router-with-a-linux-system/

OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09.2 for network routers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itrunsonlinux.com/news/154-openwrt-kamikaze-8092-for-network-routers