[News] TiVo's Abuse With Software Patents Fails, US System Helps Patent rolls in East Texas

  • Subject: [News] TiVo's Abuse With Software Patents Fails, US System Helps Patent rolls in East Texas
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 00:06:02 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

TiVo win set aside by appeals court; shares drop

,----[ Quote ]
| Shares of TiVo fell as much as 42 percent on
| Friday after an appeals court set aside the
| company's win in a patent battle over digital
| video recorders with rivals Dish and EchoStar.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64D3Z820100514

On Second Thought... Appeals Court Vacates TiVo's Big Patent Win Over Echostar

,----[ Quote ]
| TiVo's lawsuit against EchoStar for patent
| infringement has been a mostly one-sided
| affair. TiVo appeared to win at every turn, to
| the point that there were stories suggesting
| EchoStar would have to start blocking the use
| of its own DVR. TiVo had celebrated these
| victories by suing others as well, and
| demanding ridiculous sums of money from
| EchoStar. Of course, it seemed odd to us that,
| while all of this was happening, the US Patent
| Office was admitting the patents might not be
| valid. Oops.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100514/0953459428.shtml

Court Won't Move Patent Lawsuit Out Of East Texas, Despite Plaintiff's 'Ephemeral' Connection To Texas

,----[ Quote ]
| As has been discussed plenty of times, a disproportionate number of patent
| lawsuits are filed in East Texas, under the belief that the venue is the
| most friendly to patent holders (there is some debate lately about how
| accurate this is, but either way it remains, by far, the most popular
| place for patent lawsuits). This happened even in cases where there was
| clearly no reason for the case to be heard in Texas. My favorite is
| the story of two San Jose, California companies, whose offices were
| blocks away from each other... who ended up in an East Texas court
| to fight a patent battle. Two years ago, the Federal Circuit suggested
| courts should be more willing to transfer cases that don't really
| belong in their district -- a clear warning shot at East Texas.

TiVo âHooks Upâ With PayPerPost

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2007-10/tivo-hooks-up-with-pay-per-post/