[News] DRM and the British Library (and Microsoft)

  • Subject: [News] DRM and the British Library (and Microsoft)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 00:42:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

More insight into DRM at the BL (Bill McCoy, ex-Adobe)

,----[ Quote ]
| Heâs no longer with Adobe and he has written
| a useful account of the way that scholarly
| publications should be managed â in the
| browser, not at the server. I like his
| analysis. I am not against access control per
| se, and it works well in most cases â
| certainly far better than DRM.
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2400

Draft FOI request to the British Library (BL) on Digital Rights Management (DRM)

,----[ Quote ]
| I shall be composing my freedom of
| information letter to the British Library
| today. A week ago I asked informally on the
| blogosphere and twittersphere for feedback
| from academic librarians on the
| implementation, use, and impact of digital
| rights management (DRM) systems on the supply
| of academic material from the British Library
| (inter-library loans, ILL). This post
| represents what I shall write to the BL under
| FOI unless I get more feedback today. (I am
| stunned by the passive acceptance of the UK
| academic library system to the BLâs DRM (and
| presumably DRM in general), but will retain
| that phrase unless they can show that they
| have taken action to challenge the system,
| even if unsuccessful. It also appears that
| they have no public views challenging any
| sort of DRM and they accept what is given
| them).
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2410

Should I work with Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| These are serious concerns and I will address
| them. I have previously blogged about the
| relationship of me and my group to Microsoft
| (http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2
| 249 ) where I have shown my reasons for
| working with them. The current concerns are
| different in that they relate to sponsorship
| but basically have the same concern that
| Microsoft are guilty of actions which put
| them beyond the bounds of acceptability.
|
| I do not know Filippo, but I know Glyn Moody
| well. He and I share positions on the Open
| Knowledge Foundation advisory board and most
| of our views coincide. However he and I
| differ on Microsoft. I believe his view is
| that Microsoft is inherently âevilâ in a way
| beyond the natural commercial orientations
| and activities of any large company. I do not
| take this view at present although as I have
| acknowledged some of Microsoftâs past actions
| were clearly unacceptable.
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2407

"DRM is the future."

    --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO

Recent:

When the British Library âimproved electronic access with DRMâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Scraped from British Library site without
| permission into Arcturus I have found the
| point in time when the British Library
| [changed or introduced] its DRM. I quote in
| full (without permission, claiming fair
| use) and then comment.
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2365

The British Libraryâs Secure Electronic Delivery

,----[ Quote ]
|     * The electronic copy will be available
|     to download from the server at the
|     British Library for 14 days, after
|     which the file will be deleted.
|
| Access and Printing
|
| You are permitted to make only one paper
| copy from the electronic copy. We recommend
| printing it out when you first download it.
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2382

The British Library: Mission Impossible; I still need information

,----[ Quote ]
| So I repeat my request for information
| about ILL and the BL (and local practices).
| I shanât publish names if you donât want.
| But if I canât even get correct factual
| information then I am disappointed and
| disillusioned. By acquiescing to DRM for
| academic materials, you are bringing either
| 1984 or Fahrenheit451 to our future
| society.
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2381

Campaign to liberate Information from The British Library

,----[ Quote ]
| I am going to ascertain what these
| procedures are by using the freedom of
| information act. The University of
| Cambridge is required to disclose
| information under the freedom of
| information act and I shall make an inquiry
| to ascertain the current procedures and
| rules for inter library loans. I shall use
| whatdotheyknow.com to send a request to the
| University of Cambridge. This request will
| be public the university, by law, there is
| required to respond within 20 days. They
| reply will be public and I hope it will be
| informative. From this I hope to gather
| both what the British library is policy and
| regulations are and what additional
| regulations (or possibly removal!) Are
| imposed by Cambridge.
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2361

Would Ranganathan have approved of DRM?

,----[ Quote ]
| If the British library had asked âwould
| Ranganathan have approved of DRM?â I think
| we can guess the answer. I have no idea
| what the motivation of the DRM is but I do
| not believe it is primarily introduced to
| increase the take up of their material and
| to increase scholarship. I am absolutely
| certain that it contradicts the first law.
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2386

The BLâs position becomes somewhat clearer but additional comments welcome

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2390

Publisher seeks patent

,----[ Quote ]
| A scientist in Switzerland is seeking to
| patent a system for peer reviewing and
| publishing scientific papers online, Nature
| has learned.
|
| Henry Markram, a neuroscientist and
| publishing entrepreneur who works at the
| Ecole Polytechnique FÃdÃrale de Lausanne
| (EPFL) in Switzerland, last year filed
| internationally for a broad patent on
| systems for interactive online peer review
| and publishing open-access journals.
|
| The application, says Markram, was filed
| mainly to protect a fleet of author-pays,
| open-access journals published by the
| Lausanne-based Frontiers Media, a company
| he created in 2008 with his wife Kamila
| Markram, another neuroscientist at the
| EPFL.
`----

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100507/full/news.2010.229.html

Microsoft And British Library Develop Open Source Research Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| The Research Information Centre (RIC)
| Framework v1.0 released this week has been
| designed to help international researchers
| collaborate more effectively. Hosted via
| Microsoft's open source Codeplex project
| and based on Microsoft Office SharePoint
| Server 2007 Platform, the "virtual research
| environment" allows researchers to create
| and share content and also work on specific
| issues such as funding proposals, the
| organisations claim.
`----

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/microsoft-and-british-library-develop-open-source-research-tool-3306

How Microsoft uses open source to fight open source

,----[ Quote ]
| OK, whereâs the catch?
|
|     Built on top of Microsoft Office
|     SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007, the RIC
|     extends the core MOSS functionality to
|     meet the needs to academic researchers
|     engaged in collaborative research
|     projects
|
| Gee, doc, youâre not a Microsoft shop? Even
| if you can connect with these resources,
| youâre always going to be second-class in a
| group project that depends on them.
|
| Which is sort of the point. To Microsoft
| open source is not an end in itself. It is
| a marketing tool. It is a way to gain lock-
| in with important customer sets.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=5822

The Lost Decades of the UK Web

,----[ Quote ]
| So, 20 years after Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented
| the technology, and well over a decade after
| the Web became a mass medium, and the British
| Library still isn't archiving every Web site?
|
| History - assuming we have one - will judge us
| harshly for this extraordinary UK failure to
| preserve the key decades of the quintessential
| technology of our age. It's like burning down a
| local digital version of the Library of
| Alexandria, all over again.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/12/lost-decades-of-uk-web.html

British Library's Bitter Digital Milestone

,----[ Quote ]
| That is: digitising content that is out of
| copyright, in the public domain, and then
| making us pay through the nose - us as in
| muggins public, which has kept the British
| Library going for two centuries thanks to
| our taxes, in case you'd forgotten - for
| the privilege of viewing it online.
|
| Thanks a bunch, BL, for locking up "an
| increasing proportion of the nation's
| intellectual output" behind a paywall,
| where few will ever see it: that's what
| spreading knowledge is all about, isn't it?
| Great work from a quondam great
| institution, more millstone than
| milestone...
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/british-librarys-bitter-digital.html

British Library Turns Traitor

,----[ Quote ]
| This once-great institution used to be about opening up the world's knowledge
| for the benefit and enjoyment of all: today, it's about closing it down so
| that only those who can afford to pay get to see it.
|
| What an utter disgrace.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/07/british-library-turns-traitor.html

British Library fears loss of history

,----[ Quote ]
| Lynne Brindley, director of the British Library, said that data and
| information on our time that has been entrusted to the web is being lost as
| some sites close or the technology they have stored the information on
| becomes obsolete.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/623/1050623/british-library-fears-loss-history

Related:

No need to burn books you can't read - DRM and public libraries

,----[ Quote ]
| As my correspondent says: "After all that I still couldn't open the document
| (which I've only opened once before) and got this. Now I know I haven't
| opened the document at another computer because this is my only computer with
| a printer - so I didn't open it anywhere else. I am never using this service
| again. The British Library, Microsoft and Adobe can go shove their DRM up
| their document delivery service exit. "
|
| This, let me reiterate, is a public body providing publicly paid-for research
| to a highly-qualified professional engaged in impeccable work for the public
| service.
|
| It is hard to imagine something more expensive, condescending, inaccurate,
| frustrating and enraging â nor something better calculated to restrict
| knowledge and broadcast ignorance.
|
| It's almost as if the parties involved actively want to prevent people
| learning. It certainly feels that way.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10009526o-2000331777b,00.htm

BL = Betrayed Library

,----[ Quote ]
| So the BL's idea of progress is locking down books - you know, those
| old-fashioned things without DRM - with patent-encumbered technology.
| That's "giving as wide an audience as possible the most accurate experience
| of reading the real thing"? Only in the minds of rather dim librarians who
| understand nothing about the broader implications of the shiny technology
| they choose. Me, I call it a betrayal of everything the once-great BL stood
| for....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/08/bl-betrayed-library.html

Good bye, British Library

,----[ Quote ]
| This is an image from the good old days. Microsoft's Jean Paoli hands over
| the OOXML specification to Jan van den Beld, the general secretary of ECMA.
| And you find Adam Farquhar from the British Library, the bearded person on
| the right. The British Library was instrumental to legitimizing the whole
| ECMA and ISO OOXML standardisation process as an 'independent' participant in
| the committee work. ECMA did a brilliant job to mature the specification text
| to get it ISO fast-tracked. Or as the ISO BRM convenor and recent consultant
| for the British Library Alex Brown reflects1:
|
|     Ecma made the road very rocky though, by initially producing a text that
|     was so lousy with faults.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61777/good-bye-british-library

Ecma - a case study for vendor capture

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.noooxml.org/ecma-and-vendor-capture

,----[ Quote ]
| And the company Griffin Brown, of which the BRM convenor Alex Brown is the
| director, sent out a press release 13 March 08 celebrating the 10th
| anniversary of XML:
|
| "Recent moves by Microsoft to standardise its Office products around XML file
| formats merely confirms that most valuable business data in the future will
| be stored in XML. â Alex Brown is convenor of the ISO/IEC DIS 29500 Ballot
| Resolution Process, and has recently been elected to the panel to advise the
| British Library on how to handle digital submission of journal articles."
|
| [PJ: A bit of background on the British Library here, but the short version
| is that it uses Microsoft, was a co-sponsor of having Ecma put what is now
| OOXML on the fast track, and says today it is "pleased".] - No OOXML
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

British Library books go digital

,----[ Quote ]
| Digitised publications will be accessible in two ways -initially through
| Microsoft's Live Search Books and then via the Library's website.

Britain: E-Mail Time Capsule in Works

,----[ Quote ]
| Now the British Library is appealing to ordinary Britons for their
| e-mails, saying it wants to create a snapshot of British life in 2007.
|
| [...]
|
| The e-mails will be collated and indexed by Microsoft Corp., which
| has previously partnered with the library to digitize books from
| its archive, and they will be available to researchers before
| the year's end.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070503/britain_e_mail_archive.html?.v=1

Vista and British Library put da Vinci online

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and the British Library have digitised two of Leonardo da
| Vincis' notebooks.
|
| [...]
|
| The British Library has created an updated version of its application
| called "Turning the Pages" which allows people to browse parts of
| its 150 million piece collection via a web browser. We heard how
| this works better using Vista.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/

Publish And Perish

,----[ Quote ]
| Alexander Rose, the executive director of the futurist Long Now
| Foundation, worries about the impermanence of digital information.
| "If you save that computer for 100 years, will the electrical plugs
| look the same?" he asks. "The Mac or the PC--will they be around?
| If they are, what about the software? " So far there's no business
| case for digital preservation--in fact, for software makers like
| Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan.
|
| "The reality is that it's in companies' interest that software should
| become obsolete and that you should have to buy every upgrade,"
| Rose says. We could be on the cusp of a turning point, though, in the
| way businesses and their customers think about digital preservation.
| "Things will start to change when people start losing all of their personal
| photos," Rose said.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/books-information-preservation-tech-media_cx_ee_books06_1201acid.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yyjqoh

British Library calls for digital copyright action

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6119043.html