[News] A Look at Zeitgeist for Ubuntu GNU/Linux, New Reviews

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Zeitgeist for Ubuntu GNU/Linux, New Reviews
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:13:01 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Zeitgeist: The Road to Maverick Meerkat

,----[ Quote ]
| Just like last year Zeitgeist developers
| were present at UDSâ
| It was amazing I will write about the UDS
| exprience in another blogpost.
| I think my favorite moment was Mark
| announcing Unity and using Zeitgeist for
| file management on the desktop. Although
| Mikkel knew about it (he works for
| Canonical), it took the rest of the team
| by surprise. It is very nice to feel
| appreciated. And I think i speak on behalf
| of the whole team when I say âThank you
| Ubuntu and Canonical for giving us a
| chanceâ.
`----

http://seilo.geekyogre.com/2010/05/zeitgeist-the-road-to-maverick-meerkat/

Ubuntu toolbox

,----[ Quote ]
| Eye candy. Compiz, which brings all sorts
| of cool effects to your screen, is already
| installed with Ubuntu, but to gain greater
| control over how it behaves, install the
| settings manager (compizconfig-settings-
| manager in Synaptic). Also install the
| Emerald Theme Manager (emerald in
| Synaptic) so that Compiz can display fancy
| translucent windows. To activate Emerald
| after itâs installed, hit F2 and type gksu
| emeraldâreplace and hit Enter. I also
| create a new start-up program using the
| same command to make sure my fancy windows
| come up every time.
`----

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideBusop.htm?f=2010/may/18/chinwong.isx&d=2010/may/18

Ubuntu 10.04 installation fun

,----[ Quote ]
| Bottom line: There is missing a clear path
| how to replace older Linux, be it Ubuntu
| or whatever else. Something fast, clear,
| nice for lame user without selecting /
| partition in advanced mode (not that
| complicated, but still). One question: âDo
| you really want to replace this BlaBla
| Linux? All data on that partition will be
| lost. Your Windows XP will not be
| affected. Proceed?â That is the thing Iâm
| missing as an upgrade option.
`----

http://virgo47.wordpress.com/2010/05/16/ubuntu-10-04-installation-fun/

Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 193

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter,
| Issue #193 for the week May 9th - May
| 15th, 2010. In this issue we cover Ubuntu
| Developer Summit - Ubuntu 10.10 - Maverick
| Meerkat planned, Ubuntu Developer Summit -
| M Videos, Unity, and Ubuntu Light, A Case
| for Modifying the Ubuntu Release Schedule,
| New Default Applications In Ubuntu Netbook
| Edition 10.10?, Ubuntu Stats, Ubuntu DC
| LoCo InstallFest, Release Party In Uruguay
| was a Big Hit, Welcome To Ubuntu in
| Maryland! May 20th, Ubuntu Release Party
| 10.04 â Alagoas, Ubuntu Hams - Our First
| UDS Session was Great, Clarifications
| around Ubuntu using âGoogle Chromeâ, UDS-
| Maverick recap, BTRFS By Default In
| Maverick?, Testing Ubuntu Releases,
| Receive Ubuntu bugs by mail with the
| Debian PTS, Columbia Areas Linux User
| Group - Featured speaker Mackenzie Morgan,
| In The Press, In the Blogoshpere,
| Canonicalâs Ubuntu support scope,
| Commercial bug-fixes for Ubuntu, Upcoming
| Meetings and Events, Updates and Security,
| And much much more...
`----

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue193

Recent:

Nautilus With Zeitgeist Integration Already Functional [How-to]

,----[ Quote ]
| To use it you can either patch Nautilus or
| just have a new bookmark in Nautilus. If you
| are not very confortable with compiling
| software from source, I suggest you skip to
| the "For both with and without the Nautilus
| patch (start from here to install it without
| the Nautilus patch!)" part.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/nautilus-with-zeitgeist-integration_05.html

Thoughts about the current Zeitgeist situation (GNOME 3 and beyond)

,----[ Quote ]
| I would love to see Zeitgeist growing to be
| something like Telepathy in terms of providing
| a standard for event logging (even if  its in
| python), and I hope we get there soon. And I
| hope Nokia and Intel could also make use of
| what we have and not reinvent the wheel if
| they like what we doâ.
`----

http://seilo.geekyogre.com/2010/03/zeitgeist-and-beyond/

Some GNOME Activity Journal (GNOME Zeitgeist) Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://seilo.geekyogre.com/2009/12/some-gnome-activity-journal-gnome-zeitgeist-screenshots/