[News] A Look at Lubuntu, Variant of Ubuntu; Mint Derivative Reviewed; Linux Mint 9 Released

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Lubuntu, Variant of Ubuntu; Mint Derivative Reviewed; Linux Mint 9 Released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:18:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Peppermint: Just like any other Lubuntu, only more so

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately it all falls to preference, and
| weâre back to the most important idea:
| Freedom to change and choose. So if
| Peppermint appeals to you because you
| believe youâre sparing your netbook the
| effort of thrashing through the Gnome
| desktop, and at the same time undercutting
| the system requirements of Lubuntu â well,
| you are always welcome to use it.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/05/16/peppermint-just-like-any-other-lubuntu-only-more-so/

Review: Peppermint OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Peppermint OS is a very nice project with
| a fresh and very interesting approach to
| how Linux should shape up for modern
| users. Far from the extremely minimalistic
| approach taken by Google with Google
| Chrome OS, Peppermint OS actually keeps
| enough local weight to keep your attention
| when you can't go online.
|
| In fact, one thing I specially like about
| Peppermint's approach is that it provides
| lots of flexibility. On the one hand, you
| may choose to go minimalistic, going for
| an OS that can take as little as 512MB of
| hard drive space. Nothing would prevent
| you from installing many of the
| applications available and beefing up the
| local catalog though, consequently getting
| closer to a standard desktop OS.
`----

http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-peppermint-os.html

Cloud-ready Peppermint OS blasts off to fast start

,----[ Quote ]
| A fast-booting, cloud-oriented,
| "Peppermint OS" Ubuntu variant has been
| downloaded 25,000 times in its first week.
| Meanwhile, Red Hat clone CentOS has been
| released in version 5.5, adding features
| including enhanced KVM virtualization and
| improved WiFi support, and pioneering
| Linux distro-maker Mandriva is up for
| sale.

Linux and Open Source: A Look at Peppermint OS, a Linux for the Masses

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/A-Look-at-Peppermint-OS-a-Linux-for-the-Masses-122806/

Linux Mint 9 âIsadoraâ released!

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1403

Recent:

Linux Mint 9 is Expected to Release Very Soon

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/mint-9-to-release-soon.html

Peppermint OS One

,----[ Quote ]
| If the name âPeppermint OSâ reminds you of
| Linux Mint, itâs no accident. Kendall Weaver,
| one of the Peppermint OS developers, is also
| the maintainer for the Linux Mint Fluxbox and
| LXDE editions.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/05/12/peppermint-os-one/

Peppermint: Ask and they deliver