[News] Why Writing Free Software is Valuable to Companies

  • Subject: [News] Why Writing Free Software is Valuable to Companies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:35:20 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How and Why Contributing to FOSS Can Benefit Your Organization

,----[ Quote ]
| A Linux distribution is a carefully culled
| collection of software from these upstream
| projects which makes a complete operating
| system and even includes a lot of
| application software. This collection of
| software is tested and prepared to run
| securely and maintainably together. Debian
| is built upon this model.
|
| Some distributions of Linux use Debian as
| a source project unto itself. There are a
| number of Linux distributions based on
| Debian, including the popular KNOPPIX and
| Ubuntu distributions. Being âbased on
| Debianâ can mean several things, but it
| primarily means they draw from the
| software repository at some point in the
| release cycle, and they use the Advanced
| Packaging Tool (apt) to manage this
| software. In these cases Debian is an
| intermediary between the original FOSS
| project and the âchildrenâ distributions
| which may also pull from original software
| projects to expand upon what Debian
| provides to target their particular focus.
`----

http://opensource.sys-con.com/node/1339118/print

Do we need open source vendors?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest misconceptions about
| open source software (OSS) in the
| enterprise is that it is software that can
| be rolled out without the involvement of a
| vendor. But in reality, in any enterprise
| software deployment, there will always be
| someone that needs to play the role that
| the vendor plays in the commercial
| software space.
|
| What I do mean when I say that there will
| always need to be a vendor? To put it
| simply, I believe that there will always
| need to be someone you can count on to
| provide the support and services that you
| canât depend on the open source community
| to provide.
`----

http://www.techleader.co.za/readerblog/2010/05/17/do-we-really-need-open-source-vendors/

Collaboration is king.

New Hampshire Libraries Band Together for their Implementation of Koha

,----[ Quote ]
| ByWater Solutions, an open source
| community supporter and official Koha
| support company, announced today that The
| Monadnock Library Community of New
| Hampshire has partnered with them for the
| installation and support of the community
| version of the Koha integrated library
| system.
`----

http://linuxpr.com/releases/12090.html

Recent:

Open-source companies log impressive growth in Q2 2009

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10282668-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad