[News] Kernel Foundation Grows, Linux Serves as Success Story and 2.6.35 Now in Development

  • Subject: [News] Kernel Foundation Grows, Linux Serves as Success Story and 2.6.35 Now in Development
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 07:00:27 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Automation Development Lab Joins Linux Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation, the nonprofit
| organization dedicated to accelerating the
| growth of Linux, today announced that the
| Open Source Automation Development Lab
| (OSADL) has become a member and will
| collaborate with other members on embedded
| and industrial Linux efforts.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Automation-Development-Lab-Joins-Linux-Foundation-1262057.htm

Download Super Grub Disk 0.9799 For Linux Free

http://www.softsailor.com/downloads/27348-download-super-grub-disk-0-9799-for-linux-free.html

Why some open source crosses the chasm and some falls in

,----[ Quote ]
| Important examples are to be found in the
| world of open source. Linux crossed the
| chasm on servers. It failed to do so on
| desktops. Yet Android, a Google-developed
| Linux distro, seems fated to succeed.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/why-some-open-source-crosses-the-chasm-and-some-falls-in/6507

Thoughts on 2.6.34

,----[ Quote ]
| So, as most people will have heard, the
| 2.6.34 kernel was released on May 16. Back
| in February, I was predicting a mid-May
| release, so I hit it almost exactly. That
| says nothing about my prediction skills,
| though (which are horrible) and a lot
| about how the kernel development process
| is going. It has become a very
| predictable, nearly boring affair.
`----

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2010/05/thoughts-2634

The First DRM Pull Request For Linux 2.6.35 Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux 2.6.34 kernel was released only
| three days ago, but David Airlie has
| emailed Linus Torvalds and the Linux
| Kernel Mailing List with the first DRM
| pull request for the Linux 2.6.35 kernel.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI2NQ

SUSE Linux Is Hooking Up With Btrfs Too

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora was the first tier-one Linux
| distribution shipping with support for
| optionally installing to a Btrfs file-
| system for the past year, but in recent
| weeks the adoption rate of Btrfs looks
| like it will be quickly rising. Fedora 13
| is extending the Btrfs support to offer
| system rollback support by where a file-
| system snapshot is created via Btrfs each
| time a yum transaction takes place. Red
| Hat recently released the first public
| beta of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 and
| it includes Ananconda installation support
| for RHEL6 onto Btrfs, MeeGo will be using
| Btrfs by default in this distribution that
| marries Maemo and Moblin, and Ubuntu is
| making Btrfs plans where Btrfs may become
| the default file-system in Ubuntu 10.10.
| Novell / openSUSE is also getting in bed
| with Btrfs.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI2Ng

Recent:

Community Feedback Helps Make Linux.com Even Better

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/185-jennifer-cloer/308810-community-feedback-helps-make-linuxcom-even-better