[News] A Look at Small Desktop Environments for GNU/Linux and New KDE SC Picks

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Small Desktop Environments for GNU/Linux and New KDE SC Picks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 07:08:22 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

One of these things is not like the others

,----[ Quote ]
| Having a faster machine in the house means
| I have the luxury of trying out some of
| the bigger, heavier distros without
| feeling like Iâm having my brain pressed
| through a bowl of mashed potatoes. I
| consider it homework, making sure I keep
| up-to-date on what the bulkier versions of
| Linux can do, and at what cost.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/05/19/one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-others/

Plasma Netbook 4.5

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of those changes are quite visible at
| a UI level, some other are more under the
| hood, but contribute to give to it a more
| "finished" look and feel to it.
`----

http://www.notmart.org/index.php/Software/Plasma_Netbook_4.5

Going where no gearheads have gone beforeâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Thomas Jensch from the FSFE initiated our
| presence at the event and is networking with
| church representatives, something I could
| not do, since I know way too little about
| internal church organization (and probably
| donât want to know either). I guess he
| will report more about that. What we (that
| is the KDE folks) talk about with people
| coming to our booth is free software in
| general and KDE in particular, depending
| on the interest of our visitors and their
| knowledge level. People here come with
| very varying backgrounds, we get the
| occasional Linux power user, but mostly
| itâs down to the basics. There is often an
| understanding why open standards are
| important and from there on we can talk
| about the freedoms (of free software) or
| drift off to how great KDE is. Sometimes
| it was interesting to see people running
| away when we ask them if they knew about
| free software. Typically they would mumble
| something about not knowing much about
| computers. But those are only very few
| people, most visitors are very interested.
| Sometimes on the other hand, people donât
| want the philosophical talk and are happy
| instead to just play with our shiny KDE
| demo machine. This event we have different
| apps running, Palapeli worked quite well
| as eye-catcher, running on a big monitor.
| Of course we are happy to show more apps
| and give some introductions to how KDE
| works. Some teenagers enjoyed the puzzle
| and completely ignored our lecturing about
| philosophy behind it :) We gave away quite
| some Linux dvds and FSFE handouts to the
| people that are actually interested. For
| the next time I hope weâll have a one page
| âwhat is KDEâ handout. That would be niceâ
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/gladhorn/2010/05/18/going-where-no-gearheads-have-gone-before/

Rekonq: A Quick Glance At Kubuntu Next Default Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| The talk of the town is that the next
| version of Kubuntu (10.10, codenamed
| Maverick Meerkat) will have a new default
| browser, replacing Konqueror, the longtime
| KDE favorite. The replacement browser may
| very well be Rekonq, a browser that could
| be viewed as a next-generation approach to
| Konqueror.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/rekonq-a-quick-glance-at-kubuntu-next-default-browser/2010/05/19

Yet Another GSoC update : libface gets Face Recognition

,----[ Quote ]
| To those who do not know: As part of my
| GSoC work, Iâm committing to libface , an
| open-source face recognition library made
| by me and my mentor Alex Jironkin. libface
| shall be used for the upcoming Face
| Detection and Recognition support in
| digiKam.
|
| [...]
|
| And tagging. Iâve just checked out a fresh
| copy of Adrian Bustanyâs nepomuk-peopletag
| project, which has been abandoned since
| about two years or so. Iâll be modifying
| it â actually it involves removal of code,
| not much actual coding. Iâll be removing
| the nepomuk-specific code from it (no
| offense to the Nepomuk people), as digiKam
| shall talk to Nepomuk through itâs own
| interfacing.
`----

http://adityabhatt.wordpress.com/2010/05/19/yet-another-gsoc-update-libface-gets-face-recognition/

Recent:

Akonadi Meeting and the KDE SC 4.5 release

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://thomasmcguire.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/akonadi-meeting-and-the-kde-sc-4-5-release/