[News] Playing Windows Games on GNU/Linux Got Simpler, More Native Games Arrive

  • Subject: [News] Playing Windows Games on GNU/Linux Got Simpler, More Native Games Arrive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 07:05:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Playing Popular Windows Games in Linux Becomes Easier

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the reasons why Linux can never
| catch up to Windows is its inability to
| play mainstream, popular games. Linux is
| powerful, safe, and secure. But Windows
| PCs are preferred specially by the gaming
| crowd. Iâve been a user of Linux, and I
| know that Linux has plenty of games. What
| these people usually mean is that it
| doesnât have their favorite Windows games
| â but now, thatâs changing.
|
| For years now, it has been possible to
| play selected popular Windows games on
| Linux via Wine. But one can never run
| these games natively, unless a proper port
| to Linux is available.
`----

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/05/18/playing-popular-windows-games-in-linux-becomes-easier/

Transgaming customers can now save 25% off CrossOver Games

http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/transgaming/transgaming-customers-can-now-save-25-off-crossover-games.html

Porting Osmos to Linux: A Post-Mortem (part 2/3)

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the second installment of our
| three-part Linux post-mortem. Part 1 lay
| the foundations for the article and where
| weâre coming from. Todayâs post directly
| addresses the question âWhat worked and
| what didnât?â with a set of âpros and
| consâ that cropped up during the port. The
| final post will offer a more nuanced set
| of reflections on these experiences, their
| implications for game development, and my
| advice for moving Linux forward as a
| gaming platform.
`----

http://www.hemispheregames.com/2010/05/18/porting-osmos-to-linux-a-post-mortem-part-23/

Linux games mega collection - Part 9

,----[ Quote ]
| One more compilation born and raised. Some
| shooting, several online role-playing
| games, a bit of racing and strategy. Not
| my longest review by all means, but it has
| a bit to please everyone.
|
| And that would be all for now. I have many
| more games to offer, but I'm holding
| myself. You'll see them all in the
| sequels, which just keep coming and
| coming.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/linux-games-part-9.html

In love with âDigital: a Love Storyâ

,----[ Quote ]
| It's pretty rare that my heart goes
| pouding when I'm playing a game, but this
| one made it. Digital: a Love Story is
| quite a unique little adventure game.
`----

http://matija.suklje.name/?q=node/176

Recent:

Running Windows games on Linux gets easier

,----[ Quote ]
| One constant complaint about the Linux
| desktop is that it doesn't have enough games.
| That's actually not true. Linux has plenty of
| games. What these people usually mean is that
| it doesn't have their favorite Windows games.
| Now that's changing.
|
| Granted, Linux has never been a big gaming
| platform. Some have suggested that it might
| be a good idea for vendors to work on making
| Linux a gaming platform for its own high-end
| games, but little has come of this idea. Of
| course, it's always been possible to run many
| popular Windows games on Linux. I play Guild
| Wars, a Windows-based MMORPG (Massively
| multi-player online role-playing game),
| competitively in player vs. player mode on
| Linux all the time.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16108/running_windows_games_on_linux_gets_easier

Full Steam ahead with CrossOver Games 9.0 beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Software guys are often accused of wanting to
| spend too much time polishing their beloved
| programs. I'm very guilty of that myself, and
| that's doubly hard because of our work on
| Wine. While Wine is amazing, it's not
| perfect, so there is a challenging balance in
| deciding that we've made enough progress to
| justify a release. Of course, if you let us
| software guys decide, we'll take forever and
| never ship anything.
`----

http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/cxgames-linux/full-steam-ahead-with-crossover-games-90-beta.html

Review: Crossover Games (Linux) 8.1.3