[News] Short Reviews of Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 10.10 Mockups, Benchmarks of Ubuntu GNU/Linux Versus Arch Linux

  • Subject: [News] Short Reviews of Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 10.10 Mockups, Benchmarks of Ubuntu GNU/Linux Versus Arch Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 07:36:30 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

10 things you'll love about Ubuntu 10.4

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs here: A shiny new release of the
| popular Ubuntu Linux distribution. But why
| should you care? You may not use Ubuntu â
| or maybe you donât really know much about
| Linux at all. Well, here are 10 new or
| improved features that make Ubuntu 10.4
| worth caring about.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1529

Life with Linux: Notes on installing Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

,----[ Quote ]
| This was on my personal home desktop, a
| rather powerful machine I built earlier
| this year (6Gb memory, quad core, 2Tb
| disk) specifically for 3D apps and
| personal software development. Itâs a dual
| boot machine, so when I did the upgrade on
| the Ubuntu half I wanted to make sure the
| other side remained intact.
|
| [...]
|
| All in all this is a solid release, as far
| as I can tell so far.
|
| Update: Iâve switched to the new default
| Ambiance theme to get the full effect of
| the changes in the user interface. Iâve
| changed the background image (my favs are
| from InterfaceLIFT) but otherwise I should
| be living La Vida Lucid.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/c/2010/05/installing-ubuntu-10-4-lts/

New Windicators (Window Indicators) Mockups [Ubuntu 10.10]

,----[ Quote ]
| Note: these are not official mockups, but
| they are still pretty close to what window
| indicators want to be.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/new-windicator-window-indicator-mockups.html

Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

,----[ Quote ]
| Our testing was carried out on a Lenovo
| ThinkPad T61 notebook with an Intel Core 2
| Duo T9300 dual-core processor, 4GB of
| DDR2-667MHz system memory, a 100GB Hitachi
| HTS72201 7200RPM SATA HDD, and a NVIDIA
| Quadro NVS 140M 512MB graphics processor.
| Tests we ran included 7-Zip compression,
| LAME MP3 encoding, FFmpeg, x264, World of
| Padman, OpenSSL, GraphicsMagick, Bullet
| Physics Engine, John The Ripper, SQLite,
| Apache, C-Ray, Unpack-Linux, PostMark,
| dcraw, Parallel BZIP2 compression, and
| MAFFT. Testing was done by the Phoronix
| Test Suite.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_arch_faster&num=1

Recent:

Release Schedules For Ubuntu 11.04, 11.10, 12.04 LTS

,----[ Quote ]
| While the release schedules for Ubuntu Linux
| aren't exactly a close secret -- new releases
| generally coming in April and October with
| the version scheme being YY.MM such as Ubuntu
| 11.04 for the April 2011 release --
| Canonical's Robbie Williamson has laid out
| tentative release schedules for Ubuntu 11.04,
| Ubuntu 11.10, and even Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI1OQ

Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) Developer Summit

,----[ Quote ]
| The community track discussed the usual line-
| up of events, outreach and advocacy programs,
| organizational tools, and governance
| housekeeping for the 10.10 cycle, as well as
| goals for improving the translation of Ubuntu
| and related resources into many languages.
`----
[News] Release Schedules for Ubuntu 11.04, 11.10, 12.04, Ubuntu 10.10 Developer Summit

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat release schedule

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://duncsweb.com/2010/04/07/ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat-release-schedule/