[News] Yahoo! Restores Link to Free/Open Source Software, Maddog Explains Why Freedom Software is Good for Business

  • Subject: [News] Yahoo! Restores Link to Free/Open Source Software, Maddog Explains Why Freedom Software is Good for Business
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:06:41 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Thanks, Yahoo, You Did the Right Thing

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like Yahoo has reinstated the
| Linux/Open Source link on their Tech News
| page. Perhaps it was just a fat-fingered
| mistake or an accident of some sort that the
| link was removed from the main link bar but
| it certainly raised my hackles. And,
| frankly, my hackles don't need raising over
| something like this. But, they've put it
| back in a different location (not a big
| deal) but at least they've put it back. And,
| for those of you who either believe that it
| never left or that my eyesight is somehow to
| blame, I have screen shots for you.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story284787.html#post1225100

Maddog Editorial: Reusable Code and What It Means to Your Company

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies have, in the past, assumed that
| all the code written by their programmers
| had widespread value to their customers
| and protected it all under the mantle of
| closed source, releasing the code as âopen
| sourceâ only when there was a strong
| business case to make it âopen.â Often the
| proof of open source value was very
| arduous, and therefore not often pursued.
| Perhaps it is time to reverse the practice
| and make every piece of code open source,
| unless there is a demonstrated business
| reason to keep it closed. Then more
| programmers can stop re-inventing the
| wheel.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/biz-os/governance/307690-maddog-editorial-reusable-code-and-what-it-means-to-your-company

Recent:

The real value of FOSS to business â A personal example

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mygnulinux.com/?p=470